The present community house at Manresa was originally known as Granby Hall and then as Baymount Castle, being at one time the residence of Dr Traill, a northern Church of Ireland Bishop. Renovated in 1838 by Robert Warren, it was later owned by the Irish Loreto Sisters who had a school there. Gutted by fire in 1851, the Sisters had it renovated again, sold it, and moved to Balbriggan.
In 1898 it became the property of Lord Ardilaun, a member of the Guinness family and owner of the adjoining St Anne’s estate. About the beginning of the First World War, William Lucas Scott opened a preparatory school for boys which continued until 1936, when it was acquired by John T Gwynn, of the well-known literary family (relative of Jesuit Aubrey Gwynn). In 1948 the Archbishop of Dublin asked the Jesuits to establish a northside retreat house, and Baymount Castle, with its 17 acres, was bought by them.
Retreats began in 1949. Construction of a new retreat house began in 1966 to the design of architect Andrew Devane of the firm Robinson, Keefe and Devane; it was opened in 1967. In 1969, the Irish Jesuit novitiate moved from St Mary's, Emo Court, County Laois to Manresa, where it was situated until 1991.
The papers of Manresa House, Dollymount, Dublin concern the early history of the house, financial issues, building and development, retreat work and the horse show at Manresa (1963-1973). There are references to the artworks of Richard Enda King and Evie Hone. Material is in the form of letters, ledgers, architectural plans, maps and photographs.