Dangos 6460 canlyniad

Disgrifiad archifol
Dewisiadau chwilio manwl
Rhagolwg argraffu Hierarchy Gweld:

Irish Jesuit chaplains

  • IE IJA CHP
  • Fonds
  • 1895-2020

Irish Vice-Province of the Society of Jesus, 1830-

Photocopies of obituary of Fr John Gwynn SJ

Photocopies of obituary from the Sunday Freeman of Fr John Gwynn SJ and a photograph of him as published in a supplement given away with the Weekly Freeman. Includes photographs of Fr Gwynn’s Memorial Tablet and a transcript of the inscription and document relating to his death (obituaries and appreciation by Lord Desmond Fitzgerald).

Pamphlets issued by the War Office

Pamphlets issued by the War Office on ‘The Abolition of flies in camps, billets and hospital. Circular Memorandum No.8.’, 24 June 1916, (7pp) and ‘Roman Catholic Chaplains. Information and Hints. British Armies in France. January 1917’, (21pp), possibly in the possession of Fr Henry Gill SJ. A section of ‘Roman Catholic Chaplains’ is underlined, where the chaplain should live, p.11, ‘with the Transport when the Battalion is in the trenches, unless by arrangement with the Senior Chaplain, it is decided that he shall be in the trenches’. Material hand in by Margaret Doyle, Archivist, Clongowes Wood College, 9 January 2017.

Memoranda and notes, lists relating to chaplains in the Second World War

Memoranda and notes relating to chaplains and lists of those serving as chaplains. Includes:
– Memorandum on 'Emergency Arrangement for Irish Army Chaplains', Clongowes Wood College, 1939;
– Draft of letter sent by Irish Fr Provincial to Frs Thomas O'Donnell, James Bates, [James] Stephenson and Leo Donnelly; inquiring if they would be willing to ‘work for God as a military chaplain’ (n.d., 1p.);
– Note listing names of first two ‘batches’ of chaplains and the dates of their departures from Dublin (n.d., 1p.)
– Lists of ‘Volunteers for post of Army Chaplain’ (17 February 1942, 2pp, n.d., 1p.).

Letters and telegrams to the Irish Fr Provincial from Fr Gerard Guinane SJ

Letters and telegrams to the Irish Fr Provincial from Fr Gerard Guinane SJ written while serving as chaplain with the 2nd Battalion, Royal Ulster Fusiliers in various locations throughout England, in Hawick, Scotland and in Catterick Camp, Yorkshire.

Guinane, Gerard, 1900-1971, Jesuit priest and chaplain

Letters and telegrams to the Irish Fr Provincial from Fr Conal Murphy SJ written while serving as chaplain

Letters and telegrams to the Irish Fr Provincial from Fr Conal Murphy SJ, written while serving as a chaplain with the 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers in Christchurch and Aldershot, Hants., Langholm, Dumfriesshire and The Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire; 587 Field Company, [Royal Engineers], Estate Camp, Inverkip, Scotland and in North Africa; 78th Division, British North Africa Force in Tunisia and 78th Division, Central Mediterranean Force (C.M.F.) in Sicily and Italy; 67 Garrison, B.N.A.F. in Tunisia and No. 1 Casualty Clearing Station, Italy, C.M.F., and Austria. Includes his first letter to the Irish Fr Provincial written from Salisbury (4 September 1941, 2pp); letter from Ursula Murphy [Fr Murphy’s sister] to Fr Coyne stating she had received word that Fr Murphy had gone overseas (1 December 1941, 1p.); letter to Fr Michael O’Meara (See CHP2/32) (13 October 1943, 1p.) and letter to Fr Provincial from Fr Murphy written on ‘a memorable day, the end of the war in Italy’ (2 May 1945, 2pp). Includes leaflets for the Service of Remembrance and Dedication at St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin in which Fr Conal Murphy SJ contributed to (1976; 1978), and photograph of Fr Conal Murphy SJ in military chaplains uniform, with military ribbon rack underneath.

Murphy, Conal K, 1902-1979, Jesuit priest and chaplain

Letters to the Irish Fr Provincial from Fr Michael Pelly SJ written while serving as a chaplain

Letters to the Irish Fr Provincial from Fr Michael Pelly SJ written while serving as a chaplain with 11th York and Lancaster Regiment (218th Infantry Brigade); in Otley, West Yorkshire; The Military Hospital, York; with the British North Africa Force in North Africa; 1st Battalion, The Buffs, C.M.F. in Italy; in 93rd British General Hospital, C.M.F. and in the School of Infantry, Warminster, Wiltshire. Includes Fr Pelly’s first letter to the Provincial written from Bridlington (23 April 1942, 1p.) and letters describing the monastery of Cassino following the battle of Monte Cassino (30 May 1944, 2pp), being in Rome on the day it was taken by the Allies and his ‘semi-private audience with the Pope’ (30 June, 29 July 1944, 2 items).

Pelly, Michael C, 1907-1990, Jesuit priest and chaplain

History of the College of Technology, Bolton Street from the 1950s until 1968

‘An Historical Critique’. History of the College of Technology, Bolton Street from the 1950s up to the writing of the document, in relation to its development, education, student numbers and facilities. The writer, in an attempt to encourage the directors of the College to extend the facilities to cope with the changing needs of the students, warns of imminent revolt.

Documents relating to ‘The Archbishop’s Planning Commission for Third Level Colleges under the City of Dublin Vocational Education Authority’

Documents relating to ‘The Archbishop’s Planning Commission for Third Level Colleges under the City of Dublin Vocational Education Authority’, which was established to investigate the ‘religious, educational, emotional and intellectual needs of the students’ and to ‘determine the policy to be pursued and the measures to be taken for the adequate religious education of Catholic students attending Third Level Courses in the Colleges of the City of Dublin Vocational Education Group’. Includes a report of the Commission (4 May 1971, 11 pages).

St Mary's, Emo, County Laois

Emo Court, County Laois was under Jesuit ownership from 1930 until 1969. Now in the hands of the Office of Public Works, the history of Emo dates back to the Earls of Portarlington in the eighteenth century. The first earl, John Dawson, commissioned the building of Emo Court in 1790; it is one of only a few private houses designed by the architect James Gandon. The Portarlington’s sold Emo in 1920 to the Land Commission and the Jesuits purchased the property in 1930, to be used as a novitiate (house of first formation). The Jesuits found Emo in a dilapidated state, with grass growing up through the floorboards. They made significant structural changes in order for it to function as a novitiate rather than as a family home. Many items were removed however they were stored in the basement (fireplace wrapped in blankets). Renowned photographer, Fr Frank Browne SJ, was one of the first Jesuits to take up residence there and he took many photographs of Emo Court.

In 1969, the Jesuits sold Emo to Major Cholmeley Dering Cholmeley-Harrison. He restored the house, sparing no expense, and donated it to the Irish State in 1995. In 2012 the Office of Public Works opened a permanent exhibition on Fr Frank Browne SJ at Emo Court.

The papers of St Mary’s, Emo concern the management of the Emo estate (1900-1995), establishment of the Jesuit community (1928-1930), maintenance, upkeep and expenditure (1931-1970), forestry and the sale of Emo (1969-1970; 1995). There is some material on the Jesuit community (1934-1962) and novitiate (1930-1969) however there is very little in the way of information on individual novices. Material is in the form of handwritten letters, ledgers, architectural plans, maps and photographs.

Rector/Superior of St Mary's, Emo:
Patrick Kenny (Vice-Superior), 31 July 1930;
Patrick Deevy (Vice-Superior), 29 July 1932;
Joseph Dargan, 1968-1969

Master of Novices, St Mary's, Emo:
Martin Maher; July 1930;
John Coyne;
John Neary; October 1934
Donal O'Sullivan
Paddy Cusack
Joseph Dargan, 1968-1969

St Mary's, Emo, Laois, 1930-1969

Sketch map of the Clochar, Emo

Sketch map of the Clochar. Shows the layout of the gardens and the species of trees and plants. The Clochar (or Clucker) comes from the Irish word for convent. 'There is also a story that this part of the garden was where the maids in the house were allowed to come to gossip and relax – hens clucking!'

Letter from Irish Fr Provincial to Fr Joseph Dargan SJ, Rector, St Mary's, Emo thanking him for sending Fr O'Connor's letter regarding the Codd bequest

Letter from Irish Fr Provincial Cecil McGarry SJ to Fr Joseph Dargan SJ, Rector, St Mary's, Emo thanking him for sending Fr O'Connor's letter regarding the Codd bequest. Remarks that he is going to offer the library, the portraits and the bust to Clongowes Wood College.

McGarry, Cecil, 1929-2009, Jesuit priest

'There was an Ancient House' by Benedict Kiely

Book entitled 'There was an Ancient House' by Benedict Kiely, Methusen and Co Ltd, London. A novel where ‘in a country house thirty novices of a religious order are learning a new, strange life, some failing, others succeeding in conforming to the pattern laid down by rule’. Benedict Kiely was a novice at St Mary's, Emo

Kiely, Benedict, 1919-2007, writer, critic, journalist and former Jesuit novice

Account of the funeral of the Countess of Portarlington

Account of the funeral of the Countess of Portarlington, taken from the 'Leinster Express'. Lady Portarlington was buried at Emo Park, Queen’s County (Laois). Includes references to Frs Robert Carbery and William Delaney.

The Countess was buried in the graveyard beside the church, and a memorial to her was also erected in Coolbanagher church by her sister the Duchess of Marlborough.

Catholic University of Ireland and University College, Dublin

  • IE IJA UNIV
  • Fonds
  • 1873-2000

The Catholic University of Ireland was formally inaugurated in 1854 with John H. Newman as rector. The Royal University of Ireland was an examining body only and did not provide tuition. In October 1883 the trustees of the Catholic University of Ireland leased to the Society of Jesus the University buildings of 84 and 85 with gardens, and the two uppermost stories of 86 St. Stephen’s Green (includingt the Aula Maxima and rooms over it) which were given the new name of University College, Dublin. In 1908 the National University of Ireland came into existence. In 1909 the Jesuit community left St Stephen’s Green for a new residence at 35 Lower Leeson Street.

Papers of the Catholic University (1854), the Royal University of Ireland (1883 - 1908) called University College Dublin and the National University of Ireland (1908), St. Stephen’s Green.

Irish Vice-Province of the Society of Jesus, 1830-

Sodality of Our Lady and Christian Life Communities

  • IE IJA SOD
  • Fonds
  • 1853-1985

The Sodality of Our Lady, an association formed by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits) and approved by the Holy See, was a religious body which aimed at fostering in its members an ardent devotion, reverence and filial love towards the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary & St Patrick was canonically erected in the Church of St Francis Xavier, Upper Gardiner Street on 1st May, 1853. Members of a sodality would attend devotions in the evening time or at weekends.

The material documents the creation of sodalities in Ireland from 1863 to 1960. This is known as ‘aggregation to the Primae Primariae’ and sodalities were formed in many colleges, convents, hospitals, parishes, and schools. Sodality booklets and newsletters provide background and history to the work of sodalities in Ireland.

Irish Vice-Province of the Society of Jesus, 1830-

Booklets for the Sodality of Our Lady

Booklets relating to the Sodality of Our Lady concerning rules, meditations, prayers, explanations and history of the Sodality. Includes 'Meditations for Sodalists', 'Rules of the Sodality of Our Lady', 'Prayers for the Dying', 'How to Establish a Sodality', 'His Mother's Beads', 'No surer way to heaven', 'What is the sodality of Our Lady?', 'The Message', 'Guide to the Sodality of Our Lady', 'The Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Ireland: A short history' by Fr John MacErlean SJ, 'Sodality of Our Lady of Lourdes and St Joseph: For Invalids', 'Sodality of Our Lady of Lourdes and St Joseph: For Invalids, Daily duties', 'Magnificat Bulletin of the Sodality for the Sick' and 'Favours lost by a person who deliberately neglects to receive one holy communion'.

Print of Rev. Dr. Marlay, L.L.D

Portrait print of Rev. Dr. Marlay, L.L.D., Bishop of Waterford, bust directed to left, head turned and looking straight, in religious dress. Published by G. Robinson, Paternoster Row, London.

Engraved by James Heath from an original painting by Hamilton in possession of the Right Hon. Henry Grattan.

Posters presented with the Pears Annual

Entitled: ‘Making Friends’ from the original painting by Yeend King in the possession of Andrew Pears Esq. (Size: 24 ½ x 19 ½ inches; 62 x 50 cms), ‘Beware’ from the original painting by the late J. B. Burgress R.A. in the possession of Thomas J. Barratt Esq. with the inscription "She has two eyes, so soft and brown, Take care! She gives a side-glance and looks down Beware! Beware! Trust her not, She is fooling thee", Longfellow, (Size: 24 ½ x 19 ½ inches; 62 x 50 cms) and ‘The British Lion’ from the original painting by Vastagh
Gezah in the possession of Thomas J. Barratt Esq. (Size: 21 x 29 inches; 53 x 74 cms).

Copy of mortgage, William A. Greer to the National Bank Ltd

Parties:
(1) William A. Greer formerly of Sandymount Castle, Sandymount in the County of Dublin and now of No. 49 Chaplin Road, Wembley, Middlesex (Mortgagor)
(2) The National Bank Limited having their Head Office at No. 13 Old Broad Street in the City of London

Property:
All that parcel of ground with the dwellinghouse and Offices thereon situate on the east side of Gilford Road, Sandymount, in the Barony of Dublin and County of Dublin, bounded on the north-west and west and south-west by Gilford Road and Sandymount Green, and on the north and north-east partly by the holdings of James Beckett and Susan and Louisa Hepenstall and partly by an unleased portion of the estate of the Earl of Pembroke held under Lease of 4 January 1870 from the Earl of Clanwilliam and Others to John Edmond Byrne for the term of 150 years from 29 September 1869 at the yearly rent of £190.

Terms and conditions:
In consideration of the advances made or to be made by the said Bank to the said Mortgagor, the latter as beneficial owner demises unto the Bank all and singular the above property, to hold the same for the residue of the term of years for which the said Mortgagor now holds the same (less the last day of such term), subject to redemption on payment by the said Mortgagor to the said Bank of the sum or sums for the time being owing by him to the said Bank

Deed of trust in relation to the ‘Father Delany Exhibition’

Deed of trust in relation to the ‘Father Delany Exhibition’. Sets out the responsibilities of the trustees of the fund set up to finance the exhibition, which was established to commemorate the services to education of the Very Reverend William Delany SJ LLD, President of University College, Dublin, who had, in 1906, celebrated the attainment of his Golden Jubilee in the Society of Jesus. The trustees are given power over the collection of donations for the fund, for the investment of the fund, and for the awarding of the exhibition to a student from a Jesuit school who obtains the highest aggregate of ‘Honor Marks’ at the first university examination held after his matriculation, provided that his attendance and behaviour are satisfactory. Includes amendment dated 15 February 1909 providing for the appointment of Laurence Ambrose Waldron M.P. as trustee in place of the Right Honorable Christopher Palles, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer.

English translation of a letter by Archbishop Oliver Plunkett to Fr Oliva, General of the Society of Jesus

English translation of a letter written on 30 January 1673 by Archbishop Oliver Plunkett to Fr Giovanni Oliva SJ, General of the Society of Jesus, informing him of his appointment of Father Stephen Rice (1625-1699), a Jesuit, ‘a person of profound religion…(and)…great prudence – unwearied in suffering, most assiduous in working in the vineyard of the Lord’ to work in ‘the pulpit & Schools of Armagh.’ (Fr Rice was made Superior of the Mission in 1672). Also discusses the state of the Society in Ireland, ‘I see that it is in a most desperate condition here, I see to my great sorrow that it will not last long in Ireland if there is not a better way to train and receive novices and to punish the wild & disobedient…If you, Rev. Father, who are so full of zeal to preserve & propagate the Faith in heretic countries & for the great love you always had for this unfortunate nation, will not lend a hand to Save the S.J. in Ireland I fear it will not have the Success that I wish it.’ (The original version forms part of MSS B 33)

Plunkett, St Oliver, 1625-1681, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Armagh

Document entitled ‘Testimonials of Doctor Michael F. Cox’

Typescript document entitled ‘Testimonials of Doctor Michael F. Cox’ which details his qualifications and includes 15 testimonials from doctors and surgeons he has worked with or studied under. 10 original handwritten testimonials which appear in the typescripts testimonial are included.

Cox, Michael Francis, 1852-1926, physician

Documents related to the medical registration of Michael F. Cox

File of documents related to the medical registration of Michael F. Cox, Hillsgrove Lodge, Kilmore, Drumsna, County Leitrim to the Branch Medical Council for Ireland. Includes receipt of £5 fee for registration and forms for change of residence on medical register and entitlement to a copy of the medical register.

General Council of Medical Education and Registration of the United Kingdom, 1858

Irish College, Lisbon

The Irish Jesuit College at Lisbon was established in 1590.
Two bound volumes relating to the Irish College, Lisbon concern the foundation of the college, accounts, custom book and statutes. Analysis of the documents relating to the Irish College, Lisbon by Fr Francis Finegan SJ (1909-2011).

Extracts from the booklet 'The Irish College Rome'

Photocopies of extracts from the booklet 'The Irish College Rome' (The Irish Heritage Series: 64, 1989) showing a map of the college's various locations and a list of Rectors (1628 to the present day). Note: The college was under the control of the Society of Jesus from 1635 - 1773.

Hanly, John J., -2016, priest and historian

Copies of Irish ‘Informationes’ transcribed from the ‘Codex Novitiorum’ and ‘Informationes Novitiorum’

Copies of Irish ‘Informationes’ transcribed from the ‘Codex Novitiorum’ and ‘Informationes Novitiorum’ kept at Galloro, Roman Province. Sent with covering letter (12 February 1933, 1p) by Fr Denis Nerney SJ to Fr John MacErlean SJ. Includes ‘Informationes Novitiorum Hib. S.J. in Tirocino Romano, 1826 - 1841’ (in Italian, 6pp) and extracts from the Codex Novitiorum, 1565 – 1586 (in Latin, 7pp).

Copy of letter from Fr Gaetano Angiolini SJ to [ ] in which he refers to Lord George Cholmondely

Copy of letter from Fr Gaetano Angiolini SJ to [ ]. Refers to Lord George Cholmondely, Viscount Malpas, son of Count Cholmondely, who was sent to Palermo by his father the previous summer for medical reasons. Refers to Fr St Leger SJ and Fr Charles Aylmer SJ. (In Italian).

Angiolini, Gaetano, 1748-1816, Jesuit priest

Copied excerpt from the Public Record Office Papers with list of accusations made against Sir Richard Shee

Copied excerpt from the Public Record Office Papers, vol. 115 (10) of 1582. Includes list of accusations made against Sir Richard Shee, all involving association with Irish Catholics and the Church. Also includes a reply made by Sir Richard to Walsingham in 1580 in relation to accusations against him. Shee refers to a Mr White (Thomas White SJ [b.1558, entered 1593; d.1622]?) who stayed in his house for a season. States that White is ‘a priest’ and his wife’s cousin, but as far as he knew ‘no Jesuite’. Pasted onto 'The Spectator', 12 December 1885.

Letter from Paddy J Hogan to Fr Patrick H O'Kelly SJ describing the location and provenance of the Jesuit House in Athlone

Typescript letter from Paddy J Hogan, Auctioneer, Hogan & Son, 17 Church Street, Athlone to Fr Patrick H O'Kelly SJ, Jesuit House, Galway, describing the location and provenance of the Jesuit House in Athlone, ‘…situated immediately outside the old Dublin Gate, now known as O’Leary’s (Grocers & Provisions)’. Envelope with stamp is attached.

Hogan, Paddy J, auctioneer

Book with the title ‘The manner of performing the Novena, or the nine days devotion to St Francis Xaverius...'

Book with the title ‘The manner of performing the Novena, or the nine days devotion to St Francis Xaverius of the Society of Jesus and Apostle of the Indies, as also the devotion of the ten Fridays to the same saint’ printed for Ignatius Kelly, at the Stationers-Arms in Mary’s Lane, Dublin, 1749 (88pp). Includes an article entitled ‘The Novena of Grace in Dublin 1749’ which was sent by Fr Kevin O'Rourke SJ to Fr Fergus O'Donoghue SJ with an explanatory note (10 May 2008). The article most probably written by Fr Francis Finegan SJ. The article explains the provenance of a book in the community library of St Francis Xavier’s, Gardiner Street, Dublin entitled, ‘The manner of performing the Novena, or the nine days devotion to St. Francis Xaverius of the Society of Jesus and Apostle of the Indies’. It concludes that the work was translated by Thomas Brennan and gives a brief biographical note. (5pp)

Photocopy of newspaper clippings on the Irish Colleges

Photocopy of newspaper clippings from ‘The Irish Catholic’ with an article entitled ‘Ireland and Spain’ by Fr Dr O'Doherty, 5 March 1921 and from the ‘The Irish Independent’ with an article entitled ‘Irish Colleges on the Continent’, by Fr John J. Hanly, 6 December 1961.

Letter from William and James Duff, Douglas, Isle of Man to Fr Matthew Gahan SJ

Letter and copy of a letter from William and James Duff, Douglas, Isle of Man to Fr Matthew Gahan SJ, Hardwicke Street Chapel, Dublin expressing their satisfaction that Fr Gahan is to live and administer in the Isle of Man. Remarks 'we feel that in regard to pecuniary matters you will be a sufferer to a considerable extent by the change. But if the satisfaction of having done an important service to religion as well as to its followers, can be any compensation for this sacrifice you must certainly have an ample recompense.'

Duff, James

Letters from Fr Patrick Bracken SJ to Fr Charles Aylmer SJ on the Isle of Man mission

A file of letters from Fr Patrick Bracken SJ (Vice-Provincial) to Fr Charles Aylmer SJ concerning the administration of the Isle of Man mission following the illness and death of Fr Matthew Gahan SJ. Includes a letter referring to the death of Fr Gahan. Refers to an article in a newspaper concerning his death. Remarks '…it is stated that Fr Gahan had died from the effects of the religious persecution which he suffered. This will be understood as persecution on the part of the Bishop and will I fear make a bad impression on the English and Irish clergy, for many will attribute the article directly or indirectly to us.' Asks Fr Aylmer to send a detailed statement of Fr Gahan's debts and rents and a valuation of the property on the Isle of Man (9 March 1837, 4pp). Includes a letter referring to Fr General's instructions to give up the property to Bishop Briggs on the Isle of Man. Remarks 'I have no doubt that he will award us some compensation; but the amount will depend on his own generosity…what the Society has in property I trust she will gain in reputation, at least in the eyes of the inhabitants of the island.' (18 March 1837, 4pp). Includes a letter referring to the problems with Fr Gahan's will (10 July 1837, 4pp).

Bracken, Patrick, 1795-1867, Jesuit priest

Enquiry from Miss Zena M. Carns to concerning Fr Matthew Gahan SJ

A file relating to an enquiry from Miss Zena M. Carns, Stonyhurst Preparatory School, Hodder Place, Stonyhurst, Lancashire to Irish Fr Provincial Brendan Barry SJ concerning the re-establishment of the Catholic Church in the Isle of Man and Fr Matthew Gahan SJ. Includes a letter from Fr Francis Finegan SJ to Fr Barry answering the query and including copies of letters relating to Fr Gahan and the Isle of Man (24 July 1829 - 10 December 1838, 46pp).

Carns, Zena M, teacher

Canlyniadau 1 i 100 o 6460