Showing 185 results

Collection
Coláiste Iognáid SJ
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

‘Map of St. Patrick’s Chapel’, Galway

The area of the map which illustrates the chapel is bordered by a red line: ‘Contents Stat[u]t[e] Measure, 0 a[cres[ 1 r[ood] 6 p[erches]. Written on the rear ‘Plans for original College’. The names of individuals living adjacent to the chapel are given as are main routes: to the north, Ropewalk, Mrs Henry, Mrs Clare; to the south’ Costello’s lane, Mr Patrick Nugent, Johh O’ Shaughnessy, J[oh]n O’ Flaherty; to the west: College road; the east: Mr Forbes. Man made features include dwellings shaded in light blue, ruins, roads and a stable. Orientation is given by a compass. 1 inch to 20 feet. Colour washes on paper.

‘Mass Intention Book’ for St Ignatius, Galway

Ledger style notebooks with printed headings and tables and handwritten entries for Mass Intentions, St Ignatius, Galway. Divided by month. The tables detail those for whom the Masses are said; the priest who said the Masses in each case, the amount of money received, and remarks.

‘Of whom the worlds knows least'

Ticket for a film on the life of Fr John Sullivan SJ, 'Of whom the worlds knows least’, held at Columban Hall, Sea Road, Galway. Sponsored by the St Ignatius Past Pupils’ Union.

‘Record of 25 years of Weekly Offices etc…and some accounts’ at St Ignatius, Galway

Handwritten register of the dates, times and names of priest who offered Mass at St Ignatius Church, Galway. Includes accounts for St Ignatius Church, ‘received and payments’, which includes, for example, entries under the following headings; alms; stipends; collections; grants; cash for cheques; food; lights; travel; stationary.

‘Visitations 1859 - 1961’’ to St Ignatius, Galway

Notebook with handwritten entries written by the Irish Fr Provincials on completing his annual visitation of the Galway residences. The first entry is by the Vice Provincial, Joseph Lentaigne. At the beginning of the notebook, a financial status is outlined for the
residences in Galway as they returned to Galway in 1859. The Provincials’ notes on their visitations refer to the physical and spiritual state of the college, house and church finances, and the observance of regulations; such as the pealing of bells and the non playing by the boys in certain areas. The community are commended for their successes with regard to religious observance, house regulations etc., and recommendations for improvements are made also. (In Latin and English).

Album to celebrate the centenary of the St Ignatius Church and College

Photographic album mainly related to the events organised in 1963 to celebrate the centenary of the St Ignatius Church and College in Galway. Includes photographs of: Jesuit residences; the President of Ireland, Eamon de Valera with members of the Jesuit community; photocopies of photograph of the Hurling team and Irish Speakers in 1904 taken from ‘The Ignatian’; Fr Patrick O'Kelly SJ; pasted inserts of receipts from 1879 to 1895 for cleaning, stained glass windows of 2 lights and tracery and missal stand; group photograph of the St Ignatius Gaelic Football team of 1935-1936.

Connacht Tribune, newspaper

Altar notices at St Ignatius, Galway

Lined notebooks and journals with handwritten entries for notices to be read out at Sunday Mass at St Ignatius, Galway. Each entry is headed with the relevant Sunday’s Title, such as the ‘Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost’, the ‘First Sunday of Lent’ etc, or the name of the relevant Feast, ‘Palm Sunday’. Each volume contains announcements in relation to rosaries, benedictions, devotions, novenas, confessions, Mass times, arrangements for Feast Days. There are also announcements in relation to recent deaths in the parish, and requests for prayers for the repose of the souls of those recently deceased and of those whose anniversaries occur. Insert letter, incomplete, in 1912-1914 journal, from an Ursuline nun [Sullivan], and referencing Fr Robert giving a mission in Queenstown (21 August 1862).

2 July 1905 - 12 May 1907;
31 May 1908 - 13 February 1910;
4 August 1912 - 13 December 1914;
20 December 1914 - 16 July 1916;
23 July 1916 - 6 May 1917;
13 May 1917 - 9 February 1919;
16 February 1919 - 2 March 1922;
26 March 1922 - 15 August 1924;
7 September 1924 - 8 January 1928;

Architectural plans for ‘Design for Proposed College of St Ignatius, Galway’

Includes: ‘Design for Proposed College of St Ignatius, Galway’ which details plan for Ground floor,1st Floor Plan, 2nd Floor Plan, Side Elevation and Front Elevation; ‘Design for Proposed College of St Ignatius, Galway’ which details Ground Plan, Plan of First Floor, Plan of Second Floor and Front Elevation; J. J. McCarthy R.H.A Arch[itec]t. Scale: 1 inch to 15 feet. Size: Colour washes on paper.

Attendance registers for guilds associated with, St Ignatius, Galway

Copy book attendance registers, with Fr Peader O'Higgins SJ as master. Includes aspirant names for the Sacred Heart Guild, Blessed Virgin Mary Guild, Mary Immaculate Guild, Realt na Maidne Guild, Mother of Good Counsel Guild, Mother of Christ Guild, Our Lady of the Rosary Guild, Our Lady of the Wayside Guild, Star of the Sea Guild, Our Lady of Lourdes Guild, Mother of Mercy Guild, St Aloysius Guild, Our Lady of the Perpetual Succour Guild, Holy Name of Jesus Guild, St Francis Xavier Guild, St Ignatius Guild, St John Guild, Seat of Wisdom Guild, St Nicholas Guild, St Patrick Guild, Queen of Heaven Guild, Good Shepherd Guild, St Brigid Guild.

Beginnings of the Jesuits in Galway

Information related to the beginnings of the College and Church in Galway and history of persons and events related to the Jesuits in Galway. Written at the time of the centenary celebrations (1963) more than likely by Fr Francis Finegan SJ. Includes list of past pupils who became priests and their present location; details of renovations to the interior of St. Ignatius Church; list of rectors and vice-rectors of St Ignatius, Galway; background to the history of St Ignatius, Galway; details of decorative engraving on walls at the back of Powell’s at Miss Jordan’s bookshop (11 December 1963).

Finegan, Francis J, 1909-2011, Jesuit priest

Building plans for the proposed additions to St Ignatius College, Galway

File of drawings of the building plans for the proposed additions to St Ignatius College, Galway. Includes letter from J. A. Kenny & Partners, Consulting Engineers, Eglington street, Galway returning the drawings to Fr Fergus O'Keeffe SJ (Rector) St Ignatius College, Galway (15 October 1970). The drawings of the ‘new’ community consist of: ground floor plan, first floor plan, top floor plan and elevations. Premises are surrounded by William street to the south and Raleigh row to the north. Plans illustrate new and existing properties: library, rooms, bath, W.C, lavatory, chapel, sanctuary, sacristy, store, cubicle, brother’s recreation room, lobby, corridor and present rooms. Scale is given and directional arrow. Ink and colour washes on paper. Material includes three drawings which give alternative additions to St Ignatius College: first floor plan, top floor plan and ground plan. Orientation and scale is given.

Calendar for Coláiste Iognáid

‘Féilire 1956 – 57’; ‘Féilire 1958 - 59’; Coláiste Iognáid, S.J., Gallimh’. Calendar for Coláiste Iognáid which details the forthcoming events during the year (In Irish).

Centenary of the St Ignatius Church and College, Galway

Documents relating to events organised in 1963 to celebrate the centenary of the St Ignatius Church and College in Galway. Includes programme of events; ‘the Men’s Sodality of Our Lady and The Jesuits in Galway’; menus; concert programmes, messages from Dr Michael Browne, Bishop of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora and Father General John Janssens SJ; letter from Fr Francis Finegan SJ to Rector, Fr Pearse O'Higgins SJ, St Ignatius College, Galway on a centenary brochure (2 November 1963); list of principal events of contrary celebrations (1963); rough plan of church placings; ‘Ceiliuradh Cead - Bliana Cholaside Iognáid. Deire Fomhir 1963’; ‘Cuirm Ceoil St Ignatius Centenary Celebrations 1863 - 1963 Concert’.

Characters scripts from the play ‘Crossroads’

Characters scripts from the play ‘Crossroads’ performed at St Ignatius College, Galway. Includes characters ‘Marnell’, ‘Carragher’, ‘Duggan’, ‘O’ Cuiv’, ‘Jennings’, ‘McGrath’,‘Whelan’, ‘Flanagan’, ‘MacDonagh’ and ‘Captain Lockard’. Note on front cover, 'Is it by T Sheridan SJ?'.

Coláiste Iognáid Booklet - Deed of Covenant

Leaflet outlining the history and developments of the Jesuits in Galway and of Coláiste Iognáid, with a request and information for parental funding in the form of a direct cash gift or deed of covenant. Includes details of covenant benefits, sketch map of school are and proposed development programme.

Coláiste Iognáid school play

Group photograph of students of Coláiste Iognáid, Galway, on stage during a play. Students are dressed as woman, a gardai, a prisoner and an archbishop - ‘This troupe, having won the Schools Competition in Connaught, went on to win the National Competition in Dublin’. Names are printed on mounted photograph. Includes Peader Feeney, later to become a Jesuit. Taken by photographer, Dowler, Presentation Road, Galway.

Coláiste Iognáid, Galway class photograph

Coláiste Iognáid, Galway class group, which includes three girls. Front row, l-r: Liam Greene SJ, Thomas MacMahon SJ, Mr Aidan Ryder, Patrick Tyrrell SJ (Headmaster), Mr Alexander [Eatern] (Deputy Head), Edward Diffely SJ, Padraig Folen and Kevin O'Rourke SJ.

Copy of a letter from Irish Fr Provincial to Fr John MacSheahan SJ concerning a proposal for the Jesuits in Galway to take over the running of a hostel

Copy of a letter from Irish Fr Provincial John Fahy SJ, St Francis Xavier's, Upper Gardiner Street, Dublin to Fr John MacSheahan SJ (Superior) concerning a proposal for the Jesuits in Galway to take over the running of a hostel and the possibility of opening a preparatory school.

Fahy, John, 1874-1958, Jesuit priest

Corrib Rowing and Yachting Club Rule book

Details the history and rules of the club and has photograph of clubhouse on the front and back covers. St Ignatius Rowing Club was located to the right of the Corrib Rowing and Yachting Club and they used to borrow boats in the past.

Council meetings of the Men’s Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Ignatius, Galway

  • IE IJA SC/GALW/7/9
  • File
  • 28 September 1890- September 1937; April 1946 - November 1951; 14 May 1961-14 January 1974;
  • Part of Jesuit colleges in Ireland

Minutes of council meetings of the Men’s Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Ignatius, Galway. Refers to retreats and retreat directions, details members present and those proposed for membership.

28 September 1890-1 December 1912;
13 December 1912 - September 1937;
April 1946 - November 1951;
14 May 1961-14 January 1974;

Dance in aid of Penny Dinners and postponement

File of letters and copy of letters related to the postponement of the Penny Dinners in Galway at Columban Hall and its eventual re-establishment. Correspondence between Irish Fr Provincial Laurence Kiernan SJ, Fr John MacSheahan SJ, Rector, St Ignatius Church, Galway and Thomas O’Doherty, Bishop of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora, relating to Bishop O'Doherty’s pastoral letter in which he indirectly refers to the Penny Dinners and the Jesuits, when he condemns dances organised in aid of Penny Dinners by non – Jesuits, ‘I have the strongest possible objection to the means of raising money employed last January…who can control the evils perpetuated in motor cars' (6 April 1926). Includes correspondence between Fr John MacSheahan SJ, Rector, St Ignatius Church, Galway and M. O. Lainn, Clerk, Galway Urban District Council, relating to the re-establishment of Penny Dinners.

MacSheahan, John, 1885-1956, Jesuit priest and chaplain

Deed of Assignment for land between the Sea Road and Shell Lane in Galway adjacent to Ely Place

Parties:
Rev. Eugene Browne SJ, Milltown Park, Rev. John Hughes SJ, St Ignatius College, Galway.

Property:
Land between the Sea Road and Shell Lane in Galway adjacent to Ely Place.

Terms & Conditions:
Browne assigns unto John Hughes et al ground containing 11 perches being a portion of the premises comprised in and demised by a lease of 10 October 1845 to hold for the residue of the unexpired term of 99 years. Assigns two plots of land at the premises demised by a lease of 29 April 1853 to hold for the unexpired residue of 99 years. Assigns a plot of land demised by the lease of 20 May 1853 for the residue of the unexpired term.

Other:
Signed and witnessed.

Domestic arrangements for the Jesuit community in Galway

File of material related to domestic arrangements for the Jesuit community in Galway. Items include: customs regarding the use of intoxicating liquors (May 1959); General Chapter notices which comment on issues in the house such as the lack of punctuality for dinner; ‘Order of Time’ (1969); notice for all visitors; appointment of House Consultors (26 August 1969); how to facilitate the smooth operation of accounts (16 April 1970), domestic arrangements for community and visitors (November 1971); record of Christmas gifts and cards received by the community, church services over Christmas and Christmas Day menu (1968-1971).

Draft letter from [Irish Fr Provincial] to Fr Michael Quinlan SJ, St Ignatius, Galway concerning documents relating to the lease of property belonging to the Society of Jesus in Galway to a Mr O'Dea

Draft letter from [Irish Fr Provincial] to Fr Michael Quinlan SJ (Superior), St Ignatius, Galway concerning documents relating to the lease of property belonging to the Society of Jesus in Galway to a Mr ODea. Demands an immediate explanation. Remarks 'It seems to me that under no circumstances should this transaction go through…'

Fahy, John, 1874-1958, Jesuit priest

Electrical installation in Science room at St Ignatius College, Galway

Copy of contract document, ‘Proposed Science Room, St Ignatius College, Galway: Document E Specification for the electrical installation including Scheduled, Summary and Form of tender’ by J. A Kenny & Partners, Consulting Engineers, Eglington House, Eglington Street, Galway for Fr John Hughes SJ, (Rector), St Ignatius College, Galway. Includes insert of copy of memorandum of agreement between Fr Pearse O'Higgins SJ, (Rector) St Ignatius College, Galway and Patrick Dolan, Electrical Contractor, Shangort, Barna, County Galway (1959) and specifications and general conditions of contract for the ‘Proposed Erection of Science Room at St. Ignatius College, Galway for Very Rev. Fr. John Hughes SJ Rector’ by Patrick Tobin, Consulting Engineer, 22, Eyre square, Galway.

Female students from UCG attend Mass and the Children of Mary Sodality at St Ignatius, Galway

Correspondence between Fr John MacSheahan SJ, Rector, St Ignatius College, Galway and Fr James O’Dea, Dean, University College Galway over concerns of Fr O’Dea, that pressure was applied to female students to attend Mass and attend the Children of Mary Sodality at St Ignatius Church, instead of the university, ultra vires the authority of St Ignatius Church.

MacSheahan, John, 1885-1956, Jesuit priest and chaplain

Fr Edmund Downing SJ

  • IE IJA J/128
  • File
  • 1 April 1924-1929; 1930; 1933
  • Part of Irish Jesuits

Catalogue entry, death certificate and photocopy of newspaper obituary for Fr Edmund Downing SJ. Includes a brief account book, Fr Edmund McCarthy Downing SJ, St Ignatius College, Galway.

Downing, Edmund, 1870-1933, Jesuit priest

Fr William Dargan SJ

  • IE IJA J/117
  • File
  • 18 June 1922 - 27 December 1983
  • Part of Irish Jesuits

A file relating to Fr William Dargan SJ, including biographical information, black and white photographs, birth certificate and stole with the initials W.D. (William Dargan) and the date of his ordination, 31 July 1935.

Dargan, William, 1904-1983, Jesuit priest

Historia Domus for St Ignatius, Galway

Lined notebook 'COLL S. IGNATII, HIST. DOM.' (House history for St. Ignatius College, Galway) Historia Domus, with handwritten entries which record important dates in the history of the church, college and community in Galway. At the start, it lists the instructions for the ‘Scriptores Historiae Domus’. Reports on number of confessions for each year, the Men’s Sodality and the Apostleship of Prayer. Lists the members of the community for each academic year and records the arrival of new members and the departure of the old, as well as last vows, illnesses, deaths and funerals. Details building work carried out to the buildings and new sport pitches and includes a photograph of such work in 1939. The renovations to the roof and the boiler are described as are the cost of work done, the craftsmen and architects involved etc. Relevant references are made to weather conditions and current affairs, including the reopening of the school ‘which had been suspended for 3 years (1929), ‘War declared. Invasion of Poland’ (1939), fourth centenary of the Society of Jesus (1941), ‘Around this time, the presence of a strange cat was felt (“perceived is better word”) in various parts of the house... she was caught, but escaped, + continued her evil way’ (1942), Taoiseach broadcast to the Nation on the conclusion of the War in Europe’ (16 May 1945), ‘Spiddal priest released by Communists’ (7 June 1952). Other entries refer to feast days, special Masses, novenas and processions, as well as to special periods within the Church calendar, such as Lent and Christmas. Provincials’ visitations are also recorded, as are the visits of other important guests. School events, such as the beginning and end of terms, examinations and prize-giving, operettas, theatricals, Féis Cheoil, debates, sports fixtures, excursions etc. also feature in the house history.

Also contains several insertions, some loose and some pasted onto notebook pages including; newspaper cuttings of special ceremonies, debates, school tours, reviews of theatricals, prize days, obituaries for Jesuits such as Fr Edmund Downing SJ, Jesuit educated pupils and past pupils, articles by Jesuits for example, ‘Why is not more Irish spoken?’ by Fr John J. Mac Sheahan SJ., articles of Jesuit interest in Galway, ‘Attacked by Beetle: Work to Save Church Roof’ (1939), ‘Past Pupils’ union for St Ignatius College’ (December 1946); numbers and finances of the Jesuits in Galway from 1862- 1877 (In Latin); leaflets; Lenten lectures & devotions; musical and theatricals programmes such as Concert & Dramatic Entertainment (4 January 1899); ‘The Rale True Doctor’ and ‘The Cuckoo’ (1936), ‘Sinbad the Sailor’ (1945); copy of report in the Galway Pilot of private theatricals at the College of St Ignatius (5 March 1892); copy of excavation plan done by Mr Edwards, Clerk of Works; holograph letter from Fr John MacErlean SJ to Fr Andrew O'Reilly SJ concerning the early history of the Jesuits in Galway (29 March 1947). Includes copy book which contains correspondence and articles in Galway newspapers about Scoil Fursa, a school which educates through Irish (December 1945 - January 1946).

House Consults for St Ignatius, Galway

Three lined notebooks with handwritten entries, reporting on the consults between the Rector and house consultors:
‘House Consults 12 November 1921 - 25 April 1941’ with index;
‘House Consults 14 May 1941 - 29 May 1958’ and
‘House Consults 29 May 1958 - Jan 1968’.
The minutes record the subjects discussed at each meeting, and the input of the consultors in relation to these issues. Subjects include house finances; bequests, the timetabling of, and arrangements for, liturgy and other activities such as confessions and novenas in the church; renovations and repairs to church, house and school buildings, and their decoration; the purchase and sale of property; discipline and academic performance in the school; scholarships; proposals to increase school fees; centenary celebrations; fundraising; domestic issues for the community including quality of meals, electricity, heating and water supply, regulations regarding punctuality, silence; sodalities; etc. Most entries are signed by the rector at the time, and in some cases, by the Fr Provincial. Includes list of those present.

Irish Province News, Galway

Photocopies of entries for the Jesuit community at Galway and at St Ignatius College, contained in the Jesuit publication, the Irish Province News.

Jesuit community and Fr John J McMahon SJ, at St Ignatius, Galway

Photograph of the community at St Ignatius, Galway, at the time of Fr John J McMahon’s visitation. Taken outdoors in three rows by Yann Studios, 3 Mainguard St, Galway. Includes names.

Top row, from left: Fr Michael Morahan SJ, Fr Kieran Ward SJ, Fr Senan Timoney SJ, Fr Richard Butler SJ, Fr Sean O'Duibhir SJ, Fr Paddy Tyrrell SJ, Br Michael Crowe SJ.
Middle row: Fr Peader Feeney SJ, Fr Patrick O'Kelly SJ, Br Andrew Colgan SJ, Fr Andrew O'Reilly SJ, Br Francis Bonfield SJ, Fr Jim Christian SJ.
Front row, sitting: Fr Paul Leonard SJ, Fr Joseph O'Connor SJ, Fr Pearse O'Higgins SJ (Rector), Fr John J McMahon SJ (Visitor), Fr Michael McGrath SJ (Minister), Fr Bob McGoran SJ, Fr Francis McSwiggan SJ.

Jesuit plot in graveyard, Galway

Receipts for purchase of grave space at Galway cemetery and the burial of Fr Patrick O'Reilly SJ (1902); reply to Fr John MacSheahan SJ from B. Tierney regarding his offer to purchase grave space (19 December 1922) cost of three grave at Bohermore (£6 each) (29 May 1934); quotation from James Stewart, Building Contractor for kerbing to Jesuit graves and surround (21 June 1938-15 March 1956); plan of graves in Jesuit plot, Galway taken from maps and records in Corporation Office which details the graves wand who is buried there (2 October 1968).

Letter by Fr Patrick H O'Kelly SJ to Father [ ] St Ignatius, Galway outlining how documentation surfaced to confirm the existence of Jesuits in Athlone

Handwritten letter by Fr Patrick H O'Kelly SJ, Jesuit House, Galway, to Father [ ] St Ignatius, Galway outlining how documentation surfaced to confirm the existence of Jesuits in Athlone, the discovery of documents and the persistence of former student in researching the Jesuits in Athlone, ‘…went to the records of the Protestant Diocese of Meath’. Refers to a book 'Opus Catecheticum' and 'Regulae Societatis Iesu in 8', published in Antwerp by Ioach Trongnaesium, 1605, with 'Residentiae Athlonienis Sotis Jesu' written on it. Includes typewritten copy of the above letter.

O'Kelly, Patrick H, 1897-1968, Jesuit priest

Letter from J. J. O'Neill, Intermediate Education Board for Ireland to Irish Fr Provincial concerning St Ignatius College, Galway

Letter from J. J. O'Neill, Intermediate Education Board for Ireland, 2 Kenilworth Square, Dublin to Irish Fr Provincial Thomas V Nolan SJ concerning St Ignatius College, Galway. Remarks that he feels the school can be a success.

Intermediate Education Board for Ireland, 1878-1924

Letter from Paddy J Hogan to Fr Patrick H O'Kelly SJ describing the location and provenance of the Jesuit House in Athlone

Typescript letter from Paddy J Hogan, Auctioneer, Hogan & Son, 17 Church Street, Athlone to Fr Patrick H O'Kelly SJ, Jesuit House, Galway, describing the location and provenance of the Jesuit House in Athlone, ‘…situated immediately outside the old Dublin Gate, now known as O’Leary’s (Grocers & Provisions)’. Envelope with stamp is attached.

Hogan, Paddy J, auctioneer

Letters in response to Irish Fr Provincial following his letter seeking volunteers to serve as chaplains

Letters in response to Irish Fr Provincial following his letter (10 July) seeking volunteers to serve as chaplains in the forces. Includes;
– Copy of Irish Fr Provincial’s letter (10 July 1941, 1p.);
– Responses from; Frs Gerard Guinane SJ (See CHP2/17), Joseph Kelly SJ, Conal Murphy SJ (CHP2/30), Sydney Lennon SJ (See CHP2/25), Robert Stephenson SJ, Henry Croasdaile SJ, William Prendergast SJ, Fergus Cronin SJ (See CHP2/14), Frank O'Riordan SJ and Richard O'Mahony SJ

List of Coláiste Iognáid, Galway archives

Lists of letters from the archives of Coláiste Iognáid (St Ignatius College), Galway. Includes newspaper clipping on St Joseph Seminary and St Ignatius College students entry into University College Galway.

Magazine entitled 'Cnó'

Magazine by the students of Coláiste Iognáid entitled ‘Cnó’. Articles relate to the Irish club at Coláiste Iognáid, jokes, quizzes, Galway, history and sport. In Irish.

Ministers' Journals for St Ignatius, Galway

Lined notebooks with handwritten entries. Each journal covers a period of between 7 and 15 years.
(1) 1902 - 05; 1920 - 1924; 1932 - 1933
(2) 13 November 1904 - 28 December 1906 (Includes in same volume handwritten accounts from 2 January 1907-30 September 1911)
(3) September 1933 - March 1959
(4) July 1959 - April 1965
(5) 1 May 1965 - 31 December 1969
(6) January 1970 - 1983

The entries relate to Church, community and school matters and events. The comings and goings of various members of the community are recorded, as is their state of health. Visits by bishops, the Father Provincial and other guests are also reported. Arrangements regarding meals and the consumption of alcohol (wine and punch) are dealt with extensively, and references to the ‘Long Table’ appear often. There are also references to the cost of provisions, including food and cigarettes and the weather. Building work, maintenance and repairs are recorded. Monies received for masses and donations are recorded. Many entries relate to feast days and special periods in the Church calendar, e.g. Holy Week and Christmas, and include information such as arrangements made for Masses, other ceremonies and confessions for the public and the community. In relation to the school, entries cover term dates, timetables, holidays, half days, examinations and results, retreats, school tours, sports fixtures and results, sports days theatricals, concerts, debates, sodalities etc. Of the many insertions in these journals, some are glued in and some are loose, and they relate to, amongst other subjects, distribution of holy communion, timetables for the celebration of Mass, novenas, Holy Week arrangements, concert programmes etc. Contemporary national and worldwide events are sometimes reported, e.g., ‘assassination of President Kennedy at about 6.30 p.m Irish time. World stunned’ and ‘British soldiers shot thirteen people at Civil Rights march in Derry. Sharp reaction’. Includes list of students 1919 - 1920; 1920 - 1921

Minutes of Committee meetings of Cumann Teresa, St Ignatius, Galway

Minutes of Committee meetings of Cumann Teresa, part of Our Lady’s Girls’ Club, for girls of 14-18 years of age who have left school. Givens names of President, Secretary and Treasurer. Insertions detail attendance: removals, full, partial and low. Minutes cover topic such as annual reports, rules, appointments, finance, duties, attendance and punctuality for example.

Mounted print of St Stanislaus Kostka

Mounted photographic print of the death scene of St Stanislaus Kostka at Sant’ Andrea al Quirinale, Rome, Italy. Pasted on the rear of the print, Fr F. O’ Connor OSF refers to ‘according to the faculties given to me, I Fr[iar] O’ Connor, vicar of the cross, with annexedindulgences, created in orders of St. Ignatius according to the rules and regulations 10 [May] 1742. Signed by Fr F. O’ Connor OSF, The Abbey, Galway.

New building at St Ignatius College, Galway

File of correspondence and copies of documents related to the new building at St Ignatius College, Galway and subsequent work done on the building including the staircase and window frames. Includes copy of correspondence between Irish Fr Provincial Laurence J. Kieran and Rectors, Fr John MacSheahan SJ and Fr Andrew O'Reilly SJ, St Ignatius College, Galway regarding the new building and differences of opinion about plans; copy of garden agreement between Kate Egan, Sea Road, Galway, Thomas Byrne, 3 Ely Place, Galway and Fr John MacSheahan SJ, (Rector), St. Ignatius College, Galway (March 1937); consultors’ opinions on the new building and acquiring property; plan of St Ignatius College and Church with new building shaded (October 1937); tenders for Galway building (17 May 1938); proposals and contracts for work; receipts; sketch of the present altar; guarantees; particulars of work carried out; correspondence between Neil H. Nolan Electrical & Radio, 2 Ardilaun Road, Clonliffe Road, Dublin and Fr Andrew O'Reilly SJ,(Rector) St Ignatius College, Galway.

New Secondary School, ‘Old’ and ‘New’ Community house at St Ignatius College, Galway

Architects and engineers drawings of the New Secondary School, ‘Old’ and ‘New’ Community house. Includes floor plans of electrical, heating installations, water services and layouts of boiler house, science rooms, main switchboard; copy of letter from J.A. Kenny, J. A. Kenny & Partners, Consulting Engineers, Eglington Street, Galway to Fr Fergus O'Keeffe SJ (Rector) St Ignatius College, Galway indicating drawing numbers and progress of drawings.

Newsletter entitled 'The Classical Caper'

Typewritten and handwritten newsletter (1961-1963) and printed publication produced in commemoration of the centenary celebrations of the school (1963) by the students of Coláiste Iognáid. Includes articles by pupils on school activities including: sports, theatricals, clubs, societies, quizzes, letters to the editor, editorial, book and film reviews, poetry, jokes, postbag and current affairs. In Irish and English.

Newspaper entitled 'Tuairim'

Newspaper by the students of Coláiste Iognáid entitled ‘Tuairim’, Vol.1,2 and Vol. 2, 1. The cover of April 1969 (3 copies) has an image of Che Guevara on its front cover. Articles relate to the stories of students attending Coláiste Iognáid and their interpretation at current local, national and world events. Includes articles on the debating society, quiz, editorial, basketball, judo, football, Marxism and poetry. It appears 'Tuairim' issue for November was not published, and was banned.

Newspaper for Coláiste Iognáid entitled ‘Scorcher’

School paper for the Bun-Scoil and Mean-Scoil, Coláiste Iognáid, entitled ‘Scorcher’ written by pupils from Bun-Rang 6 of the primary school. Articles relate to Harry Roberts, council of Bun-Rang, sport, space, music, reflection on the 1960’s, Vietnam, poetry and quizzes. Refers to the banning of ‘Tuairim’ and Scorcher is the only paper now ‘published in St Ignatius College Secondary School or Primary School’.

Notes by Fr James Rabbitte SJ on the history of the Jesuits in Galway

Volumes of handwritten notes by Fr James Rabbitte SJ charting the history of the Jesuits in Galway: ‘The fragments gathered in this book deal with the Society in Galway. 1: From the time Fr Holywood was appointed Superior of the Irish Mission in 1598 down to the Suppression of the Soc[iety]. 2: From the coming of Fr Haly as Superior of a Residence and School to Galway in 1859.’ Includes inserts of hand drawn maps of Galway; local history notes; photographs and newspaper clippings; Fr Rabbitte traces the history of the Jesuits in Galway through the use of primary material which are quoted and his knowledge of Jesuit history. Details Superiors of the College and Residence in Galway; Directors of the Confra[ternity] of the Sacred Heart; list of priests educated at St Ignatius College, Galway. Early photograph of St Ignatius Church, Galway and St Ignatius College Athletic Sports at Merlin Park.

Rabbitte, James, 1857-1940, Jesuit priest

Notes on the archives of St Ignatius’ Galway

Notes on the archives of St Ignatius’ Galway which includes typed document which details the archives of St Ignatius, Galway which are located in the filing cabinet in the Rector’s room at St Ignatius, Galway (November 1985); handwritten document on important material for St Ignatius, Galway (2 June 2005) and copy of handwritten document on archives in boxes with note that Archivist, Fr Fergus O'Donoghue SJ visited on June 18th, 2007 and took what he deemed relevant to the Archives.

O'Donoghue, Fergus, Jesuit priest

Notes on the history of the Jesuits in Galway

Typed notes on the history of the Jesuits in Galway by [Fr Paddy O'Kelly SJ]. Includes reference to books in Waterford and Carlow College which belonged to the Jesuit residences of Galway, New Ross and Dublin and book on the Jesuit residence at Athlone in Galway. Note by Rupert Coyle SJ (17 January 1964); list of priests educated at St Ignatius College, Galway; list of furnishings of St Ignatius Church.

Coyle, Rupert F H, 1896-1978, Jesuit priest

Number of Sunday Masses, St Ignatius, Galway

Correspondence between Irish Fr Provincial Laurence Kieran SJ, Fr John MacSheahan SJ, Rector, St Ignatius, Galway and Thomas O'Doherty, Bishop of Galway and Kilmacduagh relating to the authority of the Bishop in insisting that the acts and five minutes sermons are connected, and limiting the number of Masses said at St Ignatius. Refers to the university sodality question, and Fr O'Dea mentioned that he didn't bring it to the Bishops attention (Canon Davis).

MacSheahan, John, 1885-1956, Jesuit priest and chaplain

Nuttall’s Garden, Raleigh Row, Galway

File of correspondence related to the valuation and purchase of plot know as Nuttall’s Garden, Raleigh Row between Fr O’ Connor SJ, St Ignatius College, Galway and Joyce, Mackie & Lougheed, Auctioneers, 34 Eyre Square, Galway, Ambrose J. Roche, Auctioneer, 8 Forster Street, Galway, Richard G. Emerson, Solicitor, 22 Eyre Square, Galway. Includes valuation for purchase purposes of the value of a building site belonging to Messrs. McNamara, Maxwell & Co. Ltd.

Results 1 to 100 of 185