Showing 4874 results

Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview Hierarchy View:

St Ignatius' College, Galway, classrooms

Photographs of students in class at St Ignatius College, Galway. The doors interconnecting the classrooms are open therefore you can view different classes. A Jesuit is standing in both photographs.

St Ignatius' College, Galway, junior group

School group in four rows and five Jesuit priests of St Ignatius College, Galway, taken outdoors (photographer, Clement J. Leaper, Nuns' Island, Galway). With Jesuits Bartholomew Coghlan ,Michael Fitzgibbon, John MacSheahan (Vice-Rector), Richard Gallagher and John A Byrne.

St Ignatius' College, Galway, school group

School group of St Ignatius College, Galway, in seven rows with five priests, including Fr John MacSheahan SJ (centre), and five lay teachers. Taken outdoors Robert William Simmons.

Simmons, Robert William, photographer

St Ignatius' College, Galway, school group

School group of St Ignatius College, Galway, in seven rows with six priests, including Frs John Mallin (far left), John MacSheahan (centre position) and two lay teachers. Taken outdoors by Robert William Simmons.

Simmons, Robert William, photographer

St Ignatius' College, Galway, school group, with three Jesuit priests

School group and three Jesuit priests of St Ignatius College, Galway, taken outdoors (photographer, Clement J. Leaper, 6 Nuns' Island, Galway). One individual is looking out the window. With Vice-Rector, Fr John MacSheahan SJ (centre), Fr Richard Gallagher SJ (left) and Fr Michael Fitzgibbon SJ (right). Names of pupils are handwritten on the mounted board.

St Ignatius' College, Galway, senior rugby team

Group photograph of the St Ignatius College rugby team, Galway. In three rows, taken outdoors, with Fr Richard Gallagher SJ. In the middle is a cup. [Kit is maroon shirt with white horizontal band, white shorts and maroon and white hooped socks].

St Ignatius' College, Galway, senior rugby team

Group photograph of the St Ignatius College senior rugby team, Galway. In three rows, taken outdoors under the goalpost. Names are attached to one mounted photogrph. Two mounted photographs of the same scene include a Jesuit priest and another individual, one with the imprint of Clement J. Leaper, Nuns' Island, Galway.

St Ignatius' College, Galway, students at play

Black and white photographic album of boys at St Ignatius College, Galway. Includes brief index to the photographs at the front and rear, by way of number on reverse of photograph. Photographs include boys playing Gaelic football, hurling, swimming, physical education, playing in the snow, conker playing, group photographs, individual portraits and school sports day. Two loose photographs are in colour.

St Ignatius’ College, Galway, group of several classes

Group of several classes from the school, arranged in 5 rows and taken outdoors with a statute of [St Aloysius Gonzaga] in the centre. (Accompanied by an incomplete handwritten note which identifies Gerald Keary and Fr Henry Foley SJ). Scribbled caption for Fr Henry Foley SJ.

St Mary's, Emo, County Laois

Emo Court, County Laois was under Jesuit ownership from 1930 until 1969. Now in the hands of the Office of Public Works, the history of Emo dates back to the Earls of Portarlington in the eighteenth century. The first earl, John Dawson, commissioned the building of Emo Court in 1790; it is one of only a few private houses designed by the architect James Gandon. The Portarlington’s sold Emo in 1920 to the Land Commission and the Jesuits purchased the property in 1930, to be used as a novitiate (house of first formation). The Jesuits found Emo in a dilapidated state, with grass growing up through the floorboards. They made significant structural changes in order for it to function as a novitiate rather than as a family home. Many items were removed however they were stored in the basement (fireplace wrapped in blankets). Renowned photographer, Fr Frank Browne SJ, was one of the first Jesuits to take up residence there and he took many photographs of Emo Court.

In 1969, the Jesuits sold Emo to Major Cholmeley Dering Cholmeley-Harrison. He restored the house, sparing no expense, and donated it to the Irish State in 1995. In 2012 the Office of Public Works opened a permanent exhibition on Fr Frank Browne SJ at Emo Court.

The papers of St Mary’s, Emo concern the management of the Emo estate (1900-1995), establishment of the Jesuit community (1928-1930), maintenance, upkeep and expenditure (1931-1970), forestry and the sale of Emo (1969-1970; 1995). There is some material on the Jesuit community (1934-1962) and novitiate (1930-1969) however there is very little in the way of information on individual novices. Material is in the form of handwritten letters, ledgers, architectural plans, maps and photographs.

Rector/Superior of St Mary's, Emo:
Patrick Kenny (Vice-Superior), 31 July 1930;
Patrick Deevy (Vice-Superior), 29 July 1932;
Joseph Dargan, 1968-1969

Master of Novices, St Mary's, Emo:
Martin Maher; July 1930;
John Coyne;
John Neary; October 1934
Donal O'Sullivan
Paddy Cusack
Joseph Dargan, 1968-1969

St Mary's, Emo, Laois, 1930-1969

St Stanislaus College, Tullabeg, County Offaly

Catalogue available here: https://www.offalyarchives.com/index.php/irish-jesuit-archives

The Jesuits bought Tullabeg in 1818 (dedicated it to St Stanislaus) and opened a preparatory school for boys destined to go to Clongowes Wood College, Kildare. St Stanislaus College gradually developed as an educational rival to its sister school. It merged with Clongowes Wood College in 1886. Tullabeg then became a house of Jesuit formation: novitiate (1888-1930), juniorate (1895-1911), tertianship (1911-1927) and philosophate (1930-1962). In 1962, it was decided that the students of philosophy should be sent abroad for study. Tullabeg subsequently became a retreat house and was closed in May 1991.

The papers of St Stanislaus College include information on a history of the area around Tullabeg, building and property (1912-2004), correspondence with Superiors (1881-1971), finance (1912-1990), documents on Jesuit training (1818-1962), retreat house (1949-1960) and artworks (1940-1991).

Material is in the form of letters, reports, architectural plans, notes, maps and photographs (1902-1990). Programmes for plays include Shrovetide at St. Stanislaus College, Tullamore; ‘The Man with the Iron Mask’, ‘All at Coventry’ and ‘The Smoked Miser’ (1885) and for ‘Caitlín Ní Uallacáin’ and ‘Cox and Box’ and details Jesuits who performed (1925).

Irish Vice-Province of the Society of Jesus, 1830-

Stamps commemorating the centenary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic

An Post produced four stamps commemorating the centenary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic. One of the 55c stamps, shows Fr Frank Browne SJ, who travelled aboard the Titanic from Southampton to Cork, with the Titanic at anchor off Cobh. Kept by Fr Eddie O'Donnell SJ.

An Post, 1984-

Statement by Fr Matthew Gahan SJ on his decision to go to the Isle of Man

Statement and a copy of a statement by Fr Matthew Gahan SJ describing the events surrounding his decision to go to the Isle of Man to administer to the Catholic population on the island and his work on the island. Lists names of people who supported him financially and the amounts paid.

Gahan, Matthew, 1782-1837, Jesuit priest

Stole belonging to Fr Willie Doyle SJ

  • IE IJA J/2/49
  • File
  • February 1916-5 March 1917
  • Part of Irish Jesuits

Stole belonging to Fr Willie Doyle SJ who had it with him at the front from February 1916-March 1917 (his last home leave) with the inscription ‘Forgot not the kindness of thy surety for he hath given his life for thee’ written by Fr Doyle SJ (05 March 1917). With box.

Doyle, Willie, 1873-1917, Jesuit priest and chaplain

Subsmission to the Catholic Defence Society

Circular letter from the honorary secretary of the Council of the Catholic Defence Society for comment. Handwritten notes by Fr Finlay on 'Scheme for the Constitution and Government of the Catholic Union of Ireland [1905] (11pp).

Finlay, Peter, 1851-1929, Jesuit priest and theologian

Telegrams and letters to the Provincial from various sources following the death of Fr John Hayes SJ

Telegrams and letters to the Provincial from various sources following the death of Fr John Hayes SJ from typhus on 21 January 1945. Includes: telegram from the Rector of Crescent College Limerick to the Provincial (John McMahon SJ) informing him that the War Office had ‘wired Mrs. Hayes that Father John died of typhus Jan 21st’ (26 January 1945, 1p.);
– note of acknowledgement to the Provincial from Frank G. Hayes (Fr Hayes’ brother) (27 January 1945, 1p.);
– copy of letter sent to the Rector of Belvedere College (James Gubbins SJ) from Old Belvederian (1923-1931) and comrade of Fr Hayes, Captain W.A. Ward following the death of Fr Hayes (27 January 1945, 1p.);
– copy of letter sent by Joseph Gardner, S.C.F. (R.C.) (Senior Catholic Chaplain, Allied Land Forces, South East Asia) to Mgr. John Coghlan (Principal R.C. Chaplain, War Office, London) giving further details of Fr Hayes’ death (28 January 1945, 1p.);
– letter from Mgr. Coghlan to the Irish Fr Provincial John R MacMahon SJ (29 January 1945; 2pp);
– letters from Rev. A. Clancy (Senior Catholic Chaplain, H.Q. 36th Division, South East Asia) and from Rev. J. Gardner, S.C.F. (R.C.) to Irish Fr Provincial John R McMahon SJ (29 January 1945, 2 items, 1p. each);
– copy of letter sent to Mrs. Hayes by her son’s Commanding Officer, Major-General Francis Festing, following his death (23 January 1945, 2pp);
– letter from Agnes Hayes to Irish Fr Provincial (13 February 1945, 1p.);
– letter to Irish Fr Provincial John R McMahon SJ from George Hickson, the chaplain who was with Fr Hayes before he died (15 February 1945, 3pp);
– copy of letter from Rev. J. Gardner to Fr D. Donnelly SJ (St. Stanislaus High School, Bandra, Bombay) listing the articles of ecclesiastical equipment of the late Fr Hayes, which Fr Gardner is sending to Fr Donnelly (17 March 1945, 1p.);
– copy of an Appreciation of Fr Hayes written by Rev. Terence M. Hogan, C.F. (R.C.)(Fr Hayes’ Senior Chaplain for six months) (19 March 1945, 1p.) and
– label tags ‘O.H.M.S. Deceased Officer’s Kit’ for Fr Hayes’ property (n.d., 3 items).

Coghlan, John, 1888-1963, Roman Catholic Monsignor and chaplain

Text of a poem by Fr Aubrey Gwynn SJ to Mr Michael Sweetman SJ

Text of a poem by Fr Aubrey Gwynn SJ to Mr Michael Sweetman SJ, Beadle of Milltown Park, written on returning a cricket bat sent to him by Mr Sweetman, for Fr Gwynn’s fiftieth birthday. Recorded and donated by Fr Kevin Laheen SJ (January 1998).

Gwynn, Aubrey, 1892-1983, Jesuit priest and academic

'The Acharnians of Aristophanes'

'The Acharnians of Aristophanes' translated into English Verse by Robert Yelverton Tyrrell (Dublin: Hodges Figgis & Co., Dublin University Press Series). With author’s dedication inside front cover ‘Gerard Hopkins from R Y Tyrell.’ With stamp of St. Ignatius’ College S.J. Dublin.

Tyrrell, Robert Yelverton, 1844-1914, Irish classical scholar

The Belvedere community at Carrauntoohil, Kerry

The Belvedere community at Carrauntoohil, Kerry.

  1. Atop Carrauntoohil.
  2. Resting on Carrauntoohil.
  3. On hillside, Killarney, with lakes in background.
  4. On horse at the Gap of Dunloe
  5. Same as No.1

'The Chikuni Mission. How it Came to be Started in 1905'

Three typed copies of a manuscript by Fr.Joseph Moreau SJ entitled 'The Chikuni Mission. How it Came to be Started in 1905' (31pp & 3pp notes. The fourth copy, has on the title page '(not to be published whole or in parts without Fr Moreau's consent.) + approbation!.' (36pp). This copy has handwritten translations of words on reverse page.

Moreau, Joseph, 1864-1949, Jesuit priest and missioner

'The Church and Anti-Clericalism'

Pamphlet entitled 'The Church and Anti-Clericalism' by Fr Peter Finlay SJ. Irish Messenger Social Action Series No. 16, Dublin. Two editions: 1st edition (n.d., 16pp) and 2nd edition (1919, 16pp).

Finlay, Peter, 1851-1929, Jesuit priest and theologian

'The Church and her marriage laws'

Pamphlet ''The Church and her marriage laws'' by Fr Peter Finlay SJ. Irish Messenger Series, Dublin.

Finlay, Peter, 1851-1929, Jesuit priest and theologian

'The Church and secular education'

Pamphlet 'The Church and secular education' by Fr Peter Finlay SJ. Irish Messenger Series, Dublin.

Finlay, Peter, 1851-1929, Jesuit priest and theologian

The Connacht Tribune and The Connacht Sentinel

Newspaper clippings from the Connacht Tribune and the Connacht Sentinel relating to the Jesuits in Galway; the past pupil union and centenary ceremonies of St Ignatius Church and College in Galway; the building of an extension to Coláiste Iognáid.

The Connacht Sentinel, newspaper

'The Day Before Yesterday - Father Browne’s Dublin

Invitation and booklet on an exhibition entitled, 'The Day Before Yesterday - Father Browne’s Dublin, 1922-1949', curated by Peter Walsh, at the Guinness Hop Store, Dublin. Includes catalogue to 174 photographs exhibited. 'The Day Before Yesterday' became a six-part series which traced the origins of the Irish state through the photographs of Fr Browne. It was made by Promedia for RTÉ Television. The first episode was broadcast on 6 April 1994.

Guinness, 1759-

The Elements of Euclid Explain’d

‘The Elements of Euclid Explain’d, in a new, but most easie method.’3rd Edition by Fr Claude Millet de Chales SJ, published in Oxford, 1700. Printed by L.L. for M. Gillyflower at the Spread-Eagle in Westminister–Hall and W. Freeman at the Bible over against the Middle-Temple-Gate, in Fleet-Street, 1700.

With inscriptions, ‘1703 Dec 23 Mr Phil[bishop] E[x] lib Jno (John) Ellis’, stamp of ‘N Riordan’ and ‘Edwin Barton from his father’
Presented to Fr Fergal McGrath SJ by Frances Riordan, 23 St Clements Rd, Harrogate, England (March 1953).

Dechales, Claude François Milliet, 1621-1678, Jesuit priest and mathematician

'The History of Tacitus According to the Text of Drelli. Books III, IV, V.'

'The History of Tacitus According to the Text of Drelli. Books III, IV, V.' by W.H. Simcox M.A. (ed.) (London: Rivingtons). With typed note by Fr Anthony Bischoff SJ (7 June 1947): ‘Marginal notes in Hopkins’s hand on pp. [1], 6 – 7, 19, 41, 49, 59, 88, 94, 96, 118, 125, 133, 135, 140, 161, [220]. These are significant mainly as examples of his textual conjectures.’ With a University College, St. Stephen’s Green stamp on first page.

The Ignatian

A school journal edited by the students of St Ignatius College SJ, Galway. Two copies for for Xmas 1903. Vol. 1, No. 1; Four copies for Easter, 1904. Vol. 1, No. ii. Contains news from the College, including sporting achievements, theatrical productions, academic prizes, debates, outings etc. Also includes a tongue in cheek ‘Letters to the Editor’, from students at St Ignatius College. Includes photographs of theatrical groups and sporting activities.

Coláiste Iognáid SJ, 1862-

'The Ignatian'

Photocopy of pages of the 'The Ignatian' 1929 - 30; 1979-80'; which contains an article by Fr Liam Greene SJ on the history of Coláiste Iognáid and sketches and photographs of the 'Jes' and the students of the school, circa 1910 - 1918.

Greene, Liam, 1942-2008, Jesuit priest

The Jesuit Mission to Ireland 1596-1626

M.A. thesis by James J Corboy SJ, entitled 'The Jesuit Mission to Ireland 1596-1626' at the faculty of Modern History, UCD (2 copies, 248pp each) (1941) with separate bibliography and index (34pp). Also includes letter from Dr R Dudley Edwards, UCD and Fr Jerome Mahony SJ concerning ‘Lord Justice Loftus’ and ‘Carew’ (5pp) (21 June 1954), and letter from Fr Jerome Mahony SJ to Fr Roland Burke Savage SJ that he has completed Menelogy up to 1800 (13 February 1956).

Corboy, James, 1916-2004, Jesuit priest and Roman Catholic Bishop of Monze

Results 4701 to 4800 of 4874