In the late 1940s, Fr Leonard Sheil SJ (1897-1968) travelled to Britain in an effort to serve Irish emigrants. Fr Sheil was a familiar sight on his motorbike visiting building sites, construction camps, mines, steel works, oil refineries and industrial hostels. Frs Matthew Meade (1912-1992) and Kevin Laheen (1919-2019) also provided missions.
General papers on Irish Jesuit missions;
- Letters to the Provincial from Irish Jesuit missioners which give their opinions and impression of mission work in England (1960-1961);
- Irish Episcopal Commission for Emigrants Easter conferences (1960-1977) which concerns the attendance of the Jesuit Provincial (1960-1972) and reports of proceedings, minutes and addresses (1962; 1977);
- Working Party on the Irish Emigrant Missions in England and Wales (1973);
- Mission reports and statistics (1966-1975) including Jesuit missions (1966-1970) and Irish Catholic missions in England and Wales (1968; 1974-1975);
- Jesuit Chaplains in Westminster and Birmingham Archdioceses (1966-1969);
- Irish Chaplaincy Scheme (1971-1979) including conference reports (1978-1979), details of chaplains and services (1971; 1976-1977) and Jesuit appointments (1974-1979);
- Irish Centre Advisory Service, Liverpool (1976) and
- Lillie Road Centre London (1978).