Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Gately, John, 1846-1910, Jesuit priest
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
21 March 1846-08 August 1910
Born: 21 March 1846, County Roscommon
Entered: 14 August 1878, Milltown Park, Dublin
Ordained: - Pre Entry
Professed: 15 August 1889
Died: 08 August 1910, St Ignatius, Richmond, Melbourne, Australia
Came to Australia 1896
◆ HIB Menologies SJ :
He had been a Priest of the Elphin Diocese before Ent, and had taught in the Colleges of Sligo and Athlone (Summerhill).
He made his Noviceship at Milltown under Charles McKenna.
1880 he was sent to Tullabeg as a teacher, and remained there until it amalgamated with Clongowes. He continued there then as Operarius and Minister.
1896 He was sent to Australia with James Colgan and Henry Lynch.
1897 He was Minister at St Patrick’s Melbourne
1898 He taught at St Aloysius Sydney.
1899 He was Operarius at Hawthorne
1901 He was Operarius at St Mary’s, Sydney
1908 He was Minister at Miller St Nth Sydney
1909 he was Minister at St Mary’s Sydney
A short time before his death he moved to St Ignatius, Richmond in failing health, where he died 08 August 1910. A letter from Sydney recounts details of his death :
“Father Gately worked up to the end. He heard Confessions up to 10pm and was dead by 2am. Four hours, and perhaps most of that sleeping! Father Charles Morrough heard groaning and went down, and Father Joseph Hearn, Superior, gave him the Last Sacraments. There was a very great deal of feeling shown by his old parishioners at Lavender Bay, Sydney. Several insisted on having a special Mass, and each of the Sodalities had a Mass offered for him. The people on whose corns he had trodden missed him most, and all speak well of him.”
He was a most zealous man and greatly devoted to the Confessional.
◆ David Strong SJ “The Australian Dictionary of Jesuit Biography 1848-2015”, 2nd Edition, Halstead Press, Ultimo NSW, Australia, 2017 - ISBN : 9781925043280 :
He entered the Society as a Priest of the Diocese of Elphin at Milltown Park aged 32. He had been a teacher at the Colleges of Sligo and Athlone.
1880-1886 After one year of Noviciate and a year making Tertianship, he was sent to St Stanislaus College Tullabeg as a teacher of Arithmetic and English
1886-1887 He was sent to Oña in Spain for a year of Theology
1887-1896 He was sent teaching at Clongowes Wood College and Crescent College Limerick
1896-1899 He was sent to Australia and taught at St Patrick’s College Melbourne and St Aloysius College Sydney
1899-1902 He was sent to work in the Hawthorn Parish
1902-1908 He was sent to St Mary’s, North Sydney Parish
1908-1909 He was at St Francis Xavier Lavender Bay Parish
1909-1910 He was back working at St Mary’s Parish
He died suddenly after hearing confessions at the Richmond Parish. He was described as a fiery person, but appreciated by the people.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
- County Roscommon
- County Dublin » Dublin City » Sandford Road » Milltown Park
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Richmond » St Ignatius Church (Richmond)
- County Offaly (King's) » Ballycowan (Bar.) » Tullabeg » St Stanislaus College
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » East Melbourne » St Patrick's College (East Melbourne)
- Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Milsons Point » St Aloysius College (Sydney)
- Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » North Sydney » Miller Street » St Mary's Church (Roman Catholic) (Miller Street)
- Ireland » Diocese of Elphin, Roman Catholic
- Spain » Castilla y León » Oña
- County Kildare » Clane » Clongowes Wood College SJ
- County Limerick » Limerick City » The Crescent » Sacred Heart College SJ, 1859-1974
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Hawthorn » Immaculate Conception Church (Roman Catholic)
- Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » North Sydney » Lavender Bay » St Francis Xavier (Lavender Bay)
- Knocknaganny » College Road (Knocknaganny) » Summerhill College
- County Westmeath » Athlone » Deerpark Road » St Aloysius College (Athlone)
Authority record identifier