Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Fay, Thomas, 1864-1939, Jesuit priest
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
27 June 1864-27 April 1939
Born: 27 June 1864, Sydney, Australia
Entered: 09 September 1882, Sevenhill, Australia - Austriaco-Hungaricae Province (ASR-HUN)
Professed: 15 August 1897
Died: 27 April 1939, St Aloysius, Sevenhill, Adelaide, Australia - Australiae Province (ASL)
by 1892 at St Aloysius Jersey Channel Islands (FRA) studying
Transcribed ASR-HUN to HIB : 01 January 1901; HIB to ASL : 05 April 1931
◆ David Strong SJ “The Australian Dictionary of Jesuit Biography 1848-2015”, 2nd Edition, Halstead Press, Ultimo NSW, Australia, 2017 - ISBN : 9781925043280 :
His early education was at St Kilda House, Surry Hills NSW, and he Entered the Society at Sevenhill 1882.
1884-1886 After First Vows and did his Juniorate studies at St Ignatius Richmond
1886-1887 He was sent for Regency to Xavier College Kew
1887-1888 He continued his Regency at St Aloysius College Sydney
1888-1891 He returned to Xavier College to complete his Regency
1891-1892 He was sent to St Aloysius College Jersey for Philosophy
1892-1895 He was sent to Milltown Park Dublin for Theology
1895-1897 He was Socius to the Novice Master and Minister of Juniors at St Stanislaus College Tullabeg whilst making Tertianship there at the same time.
1898-1901 He returned to Australia and St Patrick’s College Melbourne as Prefect of Studies
1901-1903 He was sent to Xavier College
1903-1912 He was sent as Vice Rector and Prefect of Studies to St Aloysius College Sydney, later being appointed rector.
1912-1913 He was sent to Loyola Greenwich as Minister
1913-1920 He was sent to St Ignatius College Riverview
1920-1922 He was back at Loyola Greenwich due to ill health
1922 He began parish work firstly at Hawthorn, then at Norwood and finally at St Aloysius Sevenhill where he died after a ong illness.
In his life he was given a number of important administrative positions, but he found these problematic. He was the only “Old Aloysian” to have been appointed Rector/Headmaster at his alma mater. It was said that up to 1920 he was quite a good worker and a man of sound judgement, particularly in financial matters. he suffered something of a breakdown at Riverview in 1920 and was never quite the same again, suffering a lot from scruples and somatic illnesses.
He was remembered by those who knew him for his kindliness.
◆ Irish Province News
Irish Province News 14th Year No 3 1939
Father Thomas Fay
1864 Born 27th June
1882 Entered at Sevenhill, South Australia
1893 Milltown, Theology.
1896-98 Tullabeg, Tertian, Soc. Mag. Nov., Submin., Cons. Dom.
1898 Tullabeg, Sup. School., Adj. Proc., Cons. dom.
1899 Returned to Australia
1939 Died in Australia, 26th April
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
- Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
- Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Woolloomooloo Street » St Kilda House
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Richmond » St Ignatius Church (Richmond)
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Kew (Melbourne) » Xavier College
- County Dublin » Dublin City » Sandford Road » Milltown Park
- County Offaly (King's) » Ballycowan (Bar.) » Tullabeg » St Stanislaus College
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » East Melbourne » St Patrick's College (East Melbourne)
- Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Milsons Point » St Aloysius College (Sydney)
- Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Greenwich » Loyola College (Greenwich)
- Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Riverview » St Ignatius College (Riverview)
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Hawthorn » Immaculate Conception Church (Roman Catholic)
- Australia » South Australia » Adelaide » Norwood » Manresa (Norwood) » St Ignatius College
- Australia » South Australia » Sevenhill » St Aloysius Church (Roman Catholic) (Sevenhill)
Authority record identifier