Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Daly, Oliver, 1845-1916, Jesuit priest
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
02 July 1845-11 January 1916
Born: 02 July 1845, Ahascragh, County Galway
Entered: 27 April 1861, Tournai, Belgium - Belgicae Province (BELG)
Final vows: 22 April 1878
Died: 11 January 1916, St Ignatius College (Coláiste Iognáid), Galway City
Second brother of Hubert - RIP 1918; Francis - RIP 1907; James - RIP 1930 Oliver was the first of the Daly brothers to Enter.
by 1869 at Maria Laach College Germany (GER) Studying
by 1871 at Pressburg Austria (ASR) studying
by 1872 at Innsbruck Austria (ASR-HUN) studying
by 1877 at Lyon France (CAMP) making Tertianship
Early Australian Missioner 1877
by 1906 at St Joseph’s Glasgow Scotland (ANG) working
◆ HIB Menologies SJ :
Second brother of Hubert - RIP 1918; James - RIP 1930; Francis H - RIP 1907. He was the first of the Daly brothers to Enter. They were a very old Catholic family who resided in the Elphin Diocese. Three of his brothers Entered the Society. Oliver joined earlier than the others in Rome and was allotted to the Irish Province.
1858-1859 He first appears in HIB as a Teacher at the newly opened Crescent day school.
he then studied the long course in Theology at Innsbruck, and at the end of his fourth year acted as Minister at Tullabeg.
1876 He was sent on Tertianship (Laudunensis, CAMP)
1877 He sailed to Australia with Daniel Clancy, James Kennedy and Thomas McEnroe.
He was in Australia for about twenty years, including being Superior at Hawthorn, and he returned in charge of Father John O’Neill who had become deranged.
He then spent some time in Glasgow and Milltown.
1907 He was sent to Galway, and remained there until his death 11 January 1916
Note from Thomas McEnroe Entry
1877 He set sail for Melbourne with Daniel Clancy, Oliver Daly and James Kennedy
◆ David Strong SJ “The Australian Dictionary of Jesuit Biography 1848-2015”, 2nd Edition, Halstead Press, Ultimo NSW, Australia, 2017 - ISBN : 9781925043280 :
He was the first of four brothers to become Jesuits, the others being Hubert, Oliver and Francis.
His early education was at Crescent College Limerick
1864-1868 After First Vows and his Juniorate he was sent for Regency to Crescent College teaching Rudiments, Writing, French and Arithmetic.
1868-1871 He went to Maria Laach College in Germany for Philosophy
1871-1876 He was sent to Innsbruck for Theology
1876-1877 He made Tertianship at Lyon in France
1877-1880 He arrived in Australia on 12 December 1877 and went to Xavier College Kew, where he was one of the first staff at the College
1880-1881 He was sent to St Patrick’s College Melbourne as Minister and Prefect of Studies, where he also directed the Sodality and did some pastoral work
1881-1882 He went to St Kilda’s House in Sydney as Minister and Teacher
1882-1886 He was sent to Hawthorn and was appointed first Superior and Parish Priest (1883-1886)
1886-1889 He became involved in rural missionary work
1890-1893 He was sent as Superior and Parish Priest of St Mary’s North Sydney
1893-1897 He was sent as Superior and Parish Priest of St Ignatius Richmond
He was subsequently at St Mary’s Parish, North Sydney and Loyola Greenwich for a few years each
1902 He returned to Ireland on 18 December 1902, and he worked in Glasgow Scotland, Milltown Park Dublin and finally at Coláiste Iognáid Galway as a rural missioner.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Identifier of related entity
Category of relationship
Type of relationship
Daly, Oliver, 1845-1916, Jesuit priest
Dates of relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
- County Galway » Ahascragh
- Belgium » Tournai
- Slovakia » Bratislava
- Austria » Innsbruck
- County Limerick » Limerick City » The Crescent » Sacred Heart College SJ, 1859-1974
- Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Maria Laach » Maria Laach College
- County Galway » Galway City » Sea Road » Coláiste Iognáid SJ
- Scotland » Glasgow » North Woodside Road » St Joseph's Church (Roman Catholic), Glasgow
- France » Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes » Lyon
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Kew (Melbourne) » Xavier College
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » East Melbourne » St Patrick's College (East Melbourne)
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » St Kilda
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Hawthorn » Immaculate Conception Church (Roman Catholic)
- Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » North Sydney » Miller Street » St Mary's Church (Roman Catholic) (Miller Street)
- Australia » Victoria » Melbourne » Richmond » St Ignatius Church (Richmond)
- Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Greenwich » Loyola College (Greenwich)
- Scotland » Glasgow
- County Dublin » Dublin City » Sandford Road » Milltown Park
Authority record identifier