- 5 January-29 December 1960 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A file of letters written during the year 1960 relating to the Chikuni Mission, Northern Rhodesia.
- Includes a letter from Fr Brian MacMahon SJ, Church of St. Ignatius, Beit Road, PO Box 125, Lusaka, Northern Rhodesia to Irish Fr Provincial Charles O'Conor SJ submitting a further three names for Ecclesiastical Superior of the mission, his own name, Fr James Corboy SJ and Fr Brendan Barry SJ: Remarks that he would '…dread the prospect of being considered for appointment as Bishop' (13 January 1960, 1p).
- Includes a letter from Fr Daniel Meagher SJ, Superior of the Mission, Catholic Church, PO Box 218, Choma, Northern Rhodesia informing him of further behavioural problems in Chikuni College. Remarks that it would appear that there is a political motivation to the bad behaviour of the students (22 March 1960, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from Francis Keenan SJ, St Stanislaus Minor Seminary, PO Box 72, Broken Hill to Irish Fr Provincial referring to the transmission of Moscow Radio in Africa. Remarks that the programme content is mostly propaganda for Communism. Remarks '…to the average uninformed African it must all sound like the answer to their prayers, especially in the light of the recent happenings in South Africa, all of which are played up to the full by Moscow…' (16 April 1960, 1p).
- Includes a copy of a letter from Irish Fr Provincial Charles O'Conor SJ to the Superior of the Mission Fr Daniel Meagher SJ concerning the question of Fr Sean McCarron's appointment as Educational Secretary to the Bishop's Conference. Remarks that he is not in favour of the appointment and explains why (26 May 1960, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from the Superior of the Mission Fr Daniel Meagher SJ, Chikuni Mission to Irish Fr Provincial Charles O'Conor SJ relating to the Sacred Heart Brothers and their agreement to take over the Teacher Training College (Charles Lwanga College) (23 June 1960, 1p).
- Includes a report of the fifth general assembly of the Catholic International Education Office ([ ] 1960, 9pp).
- Includes a letter from Fr Patrick J. Walsh SJ, Loyola, PO Box RW3, Ridgeway, Lusaka, Northern Rhodesia to Irish Fr Provincial Charles O'Conor SJ concerning constitutional changes resulting in Northern Rhodesia having an African Government. Remarks that Kenneth Kaunda will more than likely become the Chief Minister in the new Government and that his representative will visit Ireland to seek assistance from the Irish Government and asks Irish Fr Provincial to secure introductions for him to meet Irish Government officials (28 December 1960, 2pp).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
The Irish Jesuit Archives are open only to bona fide researchers. Access by advance appointment. Further details: [email protected]
Conditions governing reproduction
No material may be reproduced without the written permission of the Archivist. Copyright restrictions apply. Photocopying is not available. Digital photography is at the discretion of the Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Southern Province (Zambia) » Monze » Chikuni
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia)
- County Dublin » Dublin City » Upper Gardiner Street
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Lusaka Province (Zambia) » Lusaka
- Zimbabwe (S. Rhodesia)
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Southern Province (Zambia) » Kasiya
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Central Province (Zambia) » Kabwe
Name access points
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lusaka (Subject)
- Kozłowiecki, Adam, 1911-2007, Archbishop of Lusaka (Subject)
- O'Grady, Michael A, 1911-1969, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Chikuni Mission (Subject)
- Meagher, Daniel Louis, 1911-1980, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- MacMahon, Brian, 1907-1960, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- O'Conor, Charles D, 1906-1981, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Corboy, James, 1916-2004, Jesuit priest and Roman Catholic Bishop of Monze (Subject)
- Keenan, Francis, 1929-2020, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Barry, Brendan, 1920-1972, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Charles Lwanga College, Chikuni, 1959- (Subject)
- Canisius Secondary School, Chikuni, 1949- (Subject)
- McCarron, Seán J, 1907-1975, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Kaunda, Kenneth, 1921-, President of Zambia (Subject)
- Irish Jesuit Mission to Zambia, 1946-1969 (Subject)