- 8 January-24 December 1954 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A file of letters written during the year 1954 relating to the Chikuni Mission, Northern Rhodesia.
- Includes a letter from Fr Robert Thompson SJ, PO Box 125, Lusaka to Irish Fr Provincial Michael O'Grady SJ concerning an invitation from the Dept. of Social Welfare to Frs. Robert Thompson and Patrick J Walshe to participate in Council meetings in preparation for Territorial Social Welfare meetings (21 January 1954, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from Adam Kozlowiecki SJ, Apostolic Administrator, Vicariate Apostolic of Lusaka, PO Box 125 to Irish Fr Provincial thanking him for agreeing, in principle, to staff the Teacher Training College with members of the Irish Province (4 April 1954, 2pp).
- Includes a copy of a letter from [ ] Kabunda Mission, PO Fort Roseberry to the Right Reverend the Ordinaries of Northern Rhodesia concerning the siting of the proposed territorial Catholic Teacher Training College (6 June 1954, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from the Education Secretary-General to the North Rhodesia Catholic Missions, PO Box 593, Lusaka concerning the reorganisation of Teacher Training (18 June 1954, 4pp).
- Includes a memorandum by Irish Fr Provincial concerning the terms governing the choice of a site for the Teacher Training College (1 October 1954, 5pp).
- Includes Fr Robert Thompson SJ's impressions of participating in the Social Services Conference, Northern Rhodesia (19 October 1954, 2pp).
- Includes a memorandum by Fr Walter O'Connor SJ concerning the leprosy settlement near Chikuni (November 1954, 3pp).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
The Irish Jesuit Archives are open only to bona fide researchers. Access by advance appointment. Further details: [email protected]
Conditions governing reproduction
No material may be reproduced without the written permission of the Archivist. Copyright restrictions apply. Photocopying is not available. Digital photography is at the discretion of the Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Southern Province (Zambia) » Monze » Chikuni
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia)
- County Dublin » Dublin City » Upper Gardiner Street
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Lusaka Province (Zambia) » Lusaka
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Mpima
- Zimbabwe (S. Rhodesia) » Harare
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Central Province (Zambia) » Kabwe
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Southern Province (Zambia) » Kasiya
Name access points
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lusaka (Subject)
- Kozłowiecki, Adam, 1911-2007, Archbishop of Lusaka (Subject)
- O'Grady, Michael A, 1911-1969, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Thompson, Robert, 1918-1995, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Walsh, Patrick J, 1911-1975, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Folta, Marian, 1907-1989, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Chikuni Mission (Subject)
- McDonald, Joseph, 1918-1999, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Ó Riordan, Colm, 1919-1992, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- O'Connor, Walter Mary, 1910-1967, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Kelly, Patrick, 1920-2012, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- MacMahon, Brian, 1907-1960, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- O'Loghlen, Desmond, 1918-2003, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Carroll, Denis, 1920-1992, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Cummins, Patrick, former Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Byrne, Thomas, 1904-1978, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Sharkey, Brian, 1917-1980, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Cooney, Thomas, 1896-1985, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Irish Jesuit Mission to Zambia, 1946-1969 (Subject)