- 1 January-31 December 1951 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A file of letters written during the year 1951 relating to the Chikuni Mission, Northern Rhodesia.
- Includes a report on the Lusaka Mission and Fr Visitor's suggestion that the Irish Fathers take over a part of this mission from the Polish Province (nd, 1p).
- Includes a letter from Fr Patrick J Walsh, SJ, Chikuni Mission, PO Chisekesi Siding, Northern Rhodesia to Irish Fr Provincial Thomas Byrne SJ, concerning the starting up of new mission stations. Refers to the division of the Vicariate and remarks '…the Polish Fathers are inclined to be resentful of us….I know there is a great effort being made to ensure that…we shall not get Lusaka.' (30 January 1951, 2pp).
- Includes a memorandum concerning the establishment of a Junior Trade School ([February] 1951, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from Rev. A Chichester SJ, Vicariate Apostolic of Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia, Campion House, Rhodes Avenue, Salisbury, Southrrn Rhodesia to Irish Fr Provincial enquiring if the Irish Province has plans to open a school for European boys in Northern Rhodesia. A note on the letter remarks 'Nothing doing: will ask Xtian Brothers if he wishes.' (6 October 1951, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from Adam Kozlowiecki SJ (Apostolic Administrator), Vicariate Apostolic of Lusaka, PO Box 125 to Irish Fr Provincial stating the urgent need for a school for Catholic European boys in Northern Rhodesia. Includes a rough plan of a suitable site (16 November 1951, 3pp).
- Includes a letter from David Mathew, Apostolic Delegate, PO Box 468, Mombasa to Irish Fr Provincial referring to the division of the Vicariate between the Irish and Polish Jesuits (24 November 1951, 3pp).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
The Irish Jesuit Archives are open only to bona fide researchers. Access by advance appointment. Further details: [email protected]
Conditions governing reproduction
No material may be reproduced without the written permission of the Archivist. Copyright restrictions apply. Photocopying is not available. Digital photography is at the discretion of the Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Southern Province (Zambia) » Monze » Chikuni
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia)
- County Dublin » Dublin City » Upper Gardiner Street
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Lusaka Province (Zambia) » Lusaka
- Zimbabwe (S. Rhodesia)
- Zimbabwe (S. Rhodesia) » Harare
- Zambia (N. Rhodesia) » Southern Province (Zambia) » Fumbo
Name access points
- Byrne, Thomas, 1904-1978, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Walsh, Patrick J, 1911-1975, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- MacMahon, Brian, 1907-1960, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Gill, Joseph Mary, 1915-2006, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Poloniae Province of the Society of Jesus, 1575- (Subject)
- McCarthy, Joseph, 1912-1986, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Kozłowiecki, Adam, 1911-2007, Archbishop of Lusaka (Subject)
- Murphy, Dermot J, 1916-1979, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Lusaka (Subject)
- Mathew, David, 1902-1975, Roman Catholic Bishop of the Forces and historian (Subject)
- Lee, William M, 1915-1992, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Folta, Marian, 1907-1989, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- O'Connor, Walter Mary, 1910-1967, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Ó Riordan, Colm, 1919-1992, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Collins, Bernard P, 1910-1987, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Chichester, Aston, 1879-1962, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia (Subject)
- McDonald, Joseph, 1918-1999, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Cummins, Patrick, former Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Irish Jesuit Mission to Zambia, 1946-1969 (Subject)