Fonds UNIV - Catholic University of Ireland and University College, Dublin

Identity area

Reference code



Catholic University of Ireland and University College, Dublin


  • 1854-2000 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

4 boxes

Context area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Irish Province of the Society of Jesus is the local branch of the Society of Jesus, one of the largest religious orders in the Catholic Church, was formed in 1860, having been a Vice-Province from 1830. When Fr Peter Kenney SJ, led the Jesuits back to Ireland in 1814 after the Suppression of the Society (1773-1814) his first action was to open a new school at Clongowes Wood College. In the 19th century and the early part of the 20th century the Order was associated with training Catholics to take on a leadership role in the emerging independent Ireland.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The Catholic University of Ireland was formally inaugurated in 1854 with John H. Newman as rector. The Royal University of Ireland was an examining body only and did not provide tuition. Irish Jesuits ran 'St Patrick's House', as part of the Catholic University, from 1877, at 86 and 87, St. Stephen’s Green. Irish Jesuits decided to establish their own college, St Ignatius College, Dublin, Temple Street, Dublin in 1882. By October 1883, the trustees of the Catholic University of Ireland leased to the Society of Jesus the University buildings of 84 and 85 with gardens, and the two uppermost stories of 86 St. Stephen's Green (including the Aula Maxima and rooms over it) which were given the new name of University College, Dublin. In 1908 the National University of Ireland came into existence. In 1909 the Jesuit community left St Stephen’s Green for a new residence at 35 Lower Leeson Street.

Papers of the Catholic University (1854), the Royal University of Ireland (1883 - 1908) called University College Dublin and the National University of Ireland (1908), St. Stephen’s Green.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

All items retained permanently.


No further accruals.

System of arrangement

Material was catalogued in 1998, 2004, 2006 and 2007.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

The Irish Jesuit Archives are open only to bona fide researchers. Access by advance appointment. Further details:

Conditions governing reproduction

No material may be reproduced without the written permission of the Archivist. Copyright restrictions apply. Photocopying is not available. Digital photography is at the discretion of the Archivist.

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Publication note

'A page of Irish history: story of University College, Dublin, 1883-1909'. Irish Jesuits. Talbot Press (1930).

Publication note

Gwynn SJ, Fr Aubrey, ‘The Jesuit fathers and University College', Michael Tierney (ed.), 'Struggle with fortune: a miscellany for the centenary of the Catholic University of Ireland, 1854-1954'. Browne & Nolan (1954).

Publication note

Morrissey SJ, Thomas J. 'Towards a National University: William Delany SJ (1835-1924'). Wolfhound Press (1983).

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier


Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

1998, 2004, 2006 and 2007




Accession area