- 10 January-19 December 1950 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
A file of letters written during the year 1950 relating to the Chikuni Mission, Northern Rhodesia. Includes numerous letters relating to the announcement that eight Irish Jesuits are to be sent to the Chikuni Mission and the need for these men to learn the language (Chitonga). Many letters express concern over the lack of preparations being made for their arrival and a reluctance to comply with Fr General's instructions that all eight men are to be housed together for one year to obtain a firm grasp of the language.
- Includes a letter from the Apostolic Delegation, PO Box 468, Mombasa to Irish Fr Provincial Thomas Byrne SJ concerning the division of the mission between the Irish and Polish Jesuits. Advises Fr Byrne to send a suitable Jesuit to Northern Rhodesia to take on the role of Vicar Apostolic of Lusaka when the division takes place (12 June 1950, 1p).
- Includes a memorandum by Fr John Collins SJ concerning Bantu courses in London University (nd, 2pp).
- Includes a photograph published in the Irish Independent of the nine Irish Jesuits (eight priests and one brother) before their departure for Chikuni, Northern Rhodesia (19 July 1950, 1p).
- Includes a letter from Fr Brian MacMahon SJ to Fr Provincial Thomas Byrne SJ announcing their safe arrival in Lusaka (7 August 1950, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from Fr Patrick J Walsh SJ describing a trip he and Fr Louis Meagher SJ made in the Zambesi Valley (22 September 1950, 2pp).
- Includes a letter from Fr Brian McMahon SJ, Chikuni Mission PO Chisekesi, Northern Rhodesia to Fr Provincial Thomas Byrne SJ describing the school system here and the training colleges for African teachers (2 October 1950, 7pp).
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
The Irish Jesuit Archives are open only to bona fide researchers. Access by advance appointment. Further details: [email protected]
Conditions governing reproduction
No material may be reproduced without the written permission of the Archivist. Copyright restrictions apply. Photocopying is not available. Digital photography is at the discretion of the Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Name access points
- Byrne, Thomas, 1904-1978, Jesuit priest (Subject)
- Dowling, Maurice, 1896-1965, Jesuit priest, chaplain and missioner (Subject)
- Walsh, Patrick J, 1911-1975, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Gill, Joseph Mary, 1915-2006, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- MacMahon, Brian, 1907-1960, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Meagher, Daniel Louis, 1911-1980, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Wolnik, Bruno, 1882-1960, Jesuit priest, missioner and apostolic prefect (Subject)
- Collins, John J, 1912-1997, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- Mathew, David, 1902-1975, Roman Catholic Bishop of the Forces and historian (Subject)
- Kozłowiecki, Adam, 1911-2007, Archbishop of Lusaka (Subject)
- Chikuni Mission (Subject)
- Murphy, Dermot J, 1916-1979, Jesuit priest and missioner (Subject)
- McSweeney, Joseph, 1909-1982, Jesuit priest, chaplian and missioner (Subject)
- Irish Jesuit Mission to Zambia, 1946-1969 (Subject)
- O'Brien, Patrick JT, 1910-1991, Jesuit priest (Subject)